IDN and Registrar module

Remitur

I'm getting crazy with IDN...  😞

There's a registrar module, which worked fine with IDN : in client area the domain was specified in punycode, the module when needed did the conversion in UTF8, everything worked fine.

Worked fine until... I don't know. Maybe until last WHMCS update to 7.6.1 , and/or the update to PHP 7.2

Now, it's (not) working so:

• if the domain is specified in Punycode, WHMCS converts it in (wrongly) UTF8 before passing the paramenters to the module
    That's to say:
    domain   xn--cicciobello-39a.it (ciccioèbello.it )
    To the module, WHMCS is passing:
    $params['sld']  = 'ciccioebello'
    $params['tld'] = 'it'

• if the domain is specified in UTF8, WHMCS converts it in (wrongly) UTF8 before passing the parameters to the module
    That's to say:
    domain   ciccioèbello.it
    To the module, WHMCS is passing:
    $params['sld']  = 'ciccioebello'
    $params['tld'] = 'it'
    (so, changing an "è" in "e")

Checking ou unchecking the "general settings" => "domains" => Allow IDN Domains .... nothing change. 

I digged deep in WHMCS documentation about it, but found anything useful...    😓

27 minutes ago, Remitur said:

Worked fine until... I don't know. Maybe until last WHMCS update to 7.6.1 , and/or the update to PHP 7.2

have you tried changing the PHP version back to the previous version ?? that should at least tell you whether the PHP 7.2 is the cause, or if the issue lies elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, brian! said:

have you tried changing the PHP version back to the previous version ?? that should at least tell you whether the PHP 7.2 is the cause, or if the issue lies elsewhere.

Just tried... switched back to php 5.6 .... nothing change, still same issue...

15 minutes ago, Remitur said:

Just tried... switched back to php 5.6 .... nothing change, still same issue...

oh well, it was worth a try. 🙂

if you're using v7.6.1 now, what version did you upgrade from? e.g with which version was this module working correctly with ??

9 minutes ago, Remitur said:

ok, I knew there were IDN changes in v7.4 - but if they were the cause of this, it should have affected you in v7.5 too, but apparently not.

can you get in touch with the developer of the module to see if there's an updated version ??

WHMCS's support answered and gave the fix (thanks!).
I report it here for the community:

WHMCS strips out certain characters to remain compatible with numerous registrars and control panels that do not fully conform to IDN standard. However, this behavior can be overridden by using a custom transliteration hook: http://docs.whmcs.com/Custom_Transliteration