Looking for module for restricting products

is there a module that already exists, that will let me setup a product that requires someone already has another product we setup, already bought and active?

Example:
I setup a product called: "Website Design"

then I setup a product called "add a new page to existing website"

If they try to purchase "add a new page to existing website" but did not purchase "Website Design" then it would not let them.
it would tell them they did not order the "Website Design" which the product was setup for... so they cannot order it.
but if they did already purchase "Website Design" then they are allowed to order "add a new page to existing website"?

is there already a module that exists that does this?

Sort of the way addon products do it, but for main products...

2 hours ago, ukndoit said:

is there a module that already exists, that will let me setup a product that requires someone already has another product we setup, already bought and active?

nothing springs to mind - though it would effectively only need a ShoppingCartValidateCheckout hook to check whether the current user already has product X when ordering product Y and if not, show an error message....  granted, if there are multiple x & y then it could get more complicated. 🙂

2 hours ago, ukndoit said:

Sort of the way addon products do it, but for main products...

is there any reason why this "add a new page" can't be a product addon ? it sounds the most logical way to do it... the feature already exists in WHMCS and is designed to accommodate the validation that you're trying to do.... it seems a little like reinventing the wheel, doing this with products, if it's more suitable to have them as addons.

6 minutes ago, brian! said:

nothing springs to mind - though it would effectively only need a ShoppingCartValidateCheckout hook to check whether the current user already has product X when ordering product Y and if not, show an error message....  granted, if there are multiple x & y then it could get more complicated. 🙂

is there any reason why this "add a new page" can't be a product addon ? it sounds the most logical way to do it... the feature already exists in WHMCS and is designed to accommodate the validation that you're trying to do.... it seems a little like reinventing the wheel, doing this with products, if it's more suitable to have them as addons.

Addons would work, but lets use the "example"...

if someone purchased the website design, then purchased the addon, for creating a new page, then later they needed a new page added, could they order it again?

Seems like they could not, because if the addon was named:

"add a new page to existing website"

and they ordered it, then they could not buy another one, for another page. Right?

Because once ordered, it is already purchased, so the addon is not there again, right?

Seems like addons cannot have more than 1...

-Richard

Hi Richard

23 minutes ago, ukndoit said:

if someone purchased the website design, then purchased the addon, for creating a new page, then later they needed a new page added, could they order it again?

yes.

Seems like they could not, because if the addon was named:

"add a new page to existing website"

and they ordered it, then they could not buy another one, for another page. Right?

wrong.

Because once ordered, it is already purchased, so the addon is not there again, right?

Seems like addons cannot have more than 1...

you can order addons multiple times - even if you already have them actively assigned to a service...

yeYSqg3.png

then once you've added the new page etc, you can change the addon's status to "Completed" and it would be shown as "Completed" on their product addon page... you don't need to do this, but would probably look better from a housekeeping point of view (if the client views their existing addons to this service).

so at any stage, regardless if you've marked them completed or whatever, they can order additional pages by ordering the addon again and again if they wish to. 🙂

7 hours ago, brian! said:

Hi Richard

yes.

wrong.

you can order addons multiple times - even if you already have them actively assigned to a service...

yeYSqg3.png

then once you've added the new page etc, you can change the addon's status to "Completed" and it would be shown as "Completed" on their product addon page... you don't need to do this, but would probably look better from a housekeeping point of view (if the client views their existing addons to this service).

so at any stage, regardless if you've marked them completed or whatever, they can order additional pages by ordering the addon again and again if they wish to. 🙂

OH Fantastic. I guess I was totally wrong.

I don't have a developer site where I can test stuff. because my license is from a reseller hosting company, they don't provide a free dev license.

anyhow, thanks!!

-Richard