Concept invoice - continues numbering after deletation?!

JohnnyL

Guys,

Another weird behavior i've noticed, or just not noticed before all the time..

Lets say the current invoice is '50'  .. When i create an concept  > it makes '51'  .. thats correct. BUT if i delete that concept invoice (unpublished).. it still keeps the number '51' .. So when i generate another one or when a real invoice is generated, it generates '52' .. thats annoying, because '51' was deleted.. and not used..

Is this normal behavior? To continue numbering the invoices, even if the invoice was a concept and not published?

please clarify, how to handle this correctly, because sometimes i like to make up concept invoices to see how it going to look like, or to use it later on.

Thanks guys!!

1 hour ago, JohnnyL said:

Is this normal behavior? To continue numbering the invoices, even if the invoice was a concept and not published?

yes.

1 hour ago, JohnnyL said:

please clarify, how to handle this correctly, because sometimes i like to make up concept invoices to see how it going to look like, or to use it later on.

one option would be not to delete but keep them as drafts - that way, you'll have a record of the invoice for your booky, and the client will never see them.

deleting an invoice (which I think is disabled in admin roles by default ... and also illegal in some jurisdictions - though not yours obviously!) only deletes the entry from the tblinvoices database table - it doesn't delete the detailed entries from the tblinvoiceitems table... so even if you reset the next invoice number in WHMCS (assuming you haven't created any invoices since), it could cause errors and corruption in the database, so best avoided - unless you know exactly what you're doing.

38 minutes ago, JohnnyL said:

i see.. well weird..  i think the correct way would be,  if you delete the concept (unpublished) it should delete the number with it aswell.. makes sense

if you haven't already, you'll have to get used to WHMCS doing some weird things and considering them to be "normal" practice... besides, they brought in Draft Invoicing over 3 years ago, and if they haven't introduced a foolproof way for the user to fully delete an invoice, I wouldn't hold your breath.