Domain Suggestions in Admin Whois Results?

D9Hosting

Just a quick Monday morning vent....

We've recently upgraded to v7.6 and who suggested it would be a good idea to bring back domain suggestions on the admin area Whois search tool!?

All it's done is slowed down the load time of the page whilst it brings back domain suggestions that I can't imagine any WHMCS admin user ever looking at.

The Whois tool in the admin area is (was!) used as a quick way to check nameservers, expiry dates and other domain info. It's not used to suggest potential domain names for customers, they can do this in the customer facing domain checker.

Can I suggest that when implementing new crud like this, you add the option for us to disable it?

ridiculous isn't it! the "feature" got sneaked into the GA release with no prior warning or testing...

my main points on this are:

1. the feature was added to a GA release without it being in the beta - what is the point of a beta if not to test new features? (but you've done this before and you'll do it again in the future).
  2. why add a feature that can't be easily disabled - even if there is a tsunami of support for this feature (I don't believe there is - despite what "multiple" (2?) customers have been saying to you directly), we should have the option to disable it. e.g if using standard whois, I can well imagine these additional lookups are counting towards whois lookup limits - that's not good... yes I can hide the output with a hook, but the lookups are still taking place... yes I can switch to namespinner, but i'm not keen on it without knowing exactly how it works (which the documentation omits).
  3. discuss these things with the client base first... put it in a beta, blog about it before a beta - don't just push it down our throats without warning - it's invoice calculation all over again (and there are more examples) - don't expect us to have to create our own solutions to remove it, or no doubt wait months/years for it to be removed by WHMCS.

needless to say that thread got closed - i'm looking forward to seeing what they sneak into the v7.7 GA release that hasn't been announced or publicly tested yet. 🙄