Backups

ju5t

Ah right, sorry, I can see why this wasn't obvious from my initial post.

We're offering R1soft at the moment. Every so often though we run into problems. This can be anything really. When it works it's great though I think it's always good to look out for alternatives. In the meantime I've had a look at Acronis but their minimum commitment is above our budget unfortunately.

R1soft is really bad. Its not really designed for anything that is Terabytes big. Works ok for GB levels and only if you don’t create a lot of restore points or it will slow down over time. I had it kill several hard drives before and I used the software since it was released back when it was still David behind the product. The company was then sold 2 times I think and the product developed from great to so, so. I don’t think is worth paying R1soft. I mean, its not worth what it costs today. If it was cheaper? Sure but they just keep increasing pricing and increasing bugs.

You should take a loot at Veeam, they have a free Linux product now. But if you are really under budget just stick to using some open source solution and save the money. There is no magic behind most backup softwares, they all do more or less the same and in the end what you want is just have a copy of your data somewhere else. If you don’t want to hack around something, then R1soft still seems to be on the cheapest side. You will surely pay more for StorageCraft, Asigra, Veeam or just any other solution. Acronis? I would not pay that either, there are better vendors at that price range.

Data protection does cost money, regardless if you are paying money on licenses or in time for hacking something around. Even if you are not paying in licenses, you still need to come up with a solution that verifies data and monitors backups. There is no point in having backups if you cannot verify the copies are consistent and usable. I guess R1Soft does that job if you don't need to backup allot of data or systems.

When you mean you are offering it to your customers I assume you mean in their hosted servers because last time I checked R1soft does not work over WAN connections. It does not resume connections and its just terrible as a remote backup solution. If you are sticking it in the same datacenter, it should work ok.

Edited by yggdrasil