Domain Renewal Pricing

aknight

We have changed Registrars. We have set the domain renewal price to reflect the old Registrars pricing. New and transfers reflect to new. We have a client who transferred a domain (so move from old Registrar to new) and want them to benefit from the new Registrars price on renewal. We have set the recurring amount to the correct value. When the client logs into their portal and tries to renew early, they are being charged the old renewal rate.

Is there a way to have them  be able to renew from the portal at the new rate?

-Allan

Hi Allan,

2 hours ago, aknight said:

We have changed Registrars. We have set the domain renewal price to reflect the old Registrars pricing. New and transfers reflect to new. We have a client who transferred a domain (so move from old Registrar to new) and want them to benefit from the new Registrars price on renewal. We have set the recurring amount to the correct value. When the client logs into their portal and tries to renew early, they are being charged the old renewal rate.

oh my head hurts. 🤕

renewal pricing on the renewals page is pulled from the TLD renewal price, not that domain's current recurring price - I assume because one of it's features is to allow for the changing of the renewal period (which unless you were going to use a straight multiple of the current recurring price, you couldn't easily do).

2 hours ago, aknight said:

Is there a way to have them  be able to renew from the portal at the new rate?

off-hand, I can't think of a simple way.... not sure hooks are applicable as I don't know if OrderDomainPricingOverride can be used with renewals... documentation implies not (i've only used it with reg/trans), but you can't always go by what the docs say!

promotion codes would work - but would be rife for exploitation (e.g used in registrations/transfers and not just renewals) and get increasingly complicated when it involves multiple years and different TLDs.

Client Groups and Domain Pricing slabs would be a better option... you could define custom renewal pricing for a client group, assign this client to that group and then when they go to the domain renewals page, they'll see their client group pricing, not the default pricing... however, the downside is that this would apply a set renewal price for a TLD, e.g .com - but what happens if they have multiple .com domains, some assigned to the old registrar and others to the new... all of them would be available for renewal at the same new registrar price... aaah.gif

by default, the template doesn't know which registrar is assigned to each domain so you couldn't identify them that way without querying the database to find out.