Configurable Package Addon - problem...

I'm just posting this in the hope that someone else has had this issue and it's just a simple solution.

I purchased the configurable package addon and I'm working through the instructions here...

https://docs.whmcs.com/Configurable_Package_Addon

...which are very straightforward, however I'm stuck. It says...

Next, you need to setup a new Shared Hosting Package via Setup > Products/Services > Products/Services.

Disable any payment terms you don't want to accept on the Pricing tab by entering -1 and leave the ones you do at zero

cPanel: On the Module Settings tab, set the module type to cPanel and set the WHM Package Name field to "Custom"

So I did this but there is no "Custom" option available in the "Package Name" field.

Any ideas?

Hi Chris,

6 minutes ago, Chris74 said:

So I did this but there is no "Custom" option available in the "Package Name" field.

Any ideas?

if memory serves, I think it literally means you just type in "Custom" into that field and then the addon controls the package configuration.

Thanks for the speedy reply Brian.

It was actually a dropdown menu because I'd already selected my server group (why wouldn't I?) and at that point, it loads in packages from the servers and presents them as a list rather than allowing anything to be typed in. Thanks to your reply,  If I de-select the server group, I can now enter "custom"  - then re-select my server group afterwords. It's a just a very sloppy form. Another example of lazy and thoughtless coding in WHMCS.

This is already causing a headache because I (stupidly) thought I'd be able to start with a base configuration and price - then allow the client to choose additional resources when ordering. It seems I now have to set the product to a zero cost, so they must build it entirely from scratch. Makes this a tad more complicated when calculating the pricing. I now have to make the combination of resources all add up to the minimum price I wanted to charge, rather than setting  a base price and pricing additional resources on top.

It's very poorly designed. But I've come to expect that really.

It also says " Configure any of the limits on the Module Settings tab that you don't want to offer as options on the order form ".

I've read that sentence a few times and it doesn't seem to make sense. I have to presume it means that I should enter values in the "Advanced Mode" only for resources that I specifically do not want to be configurable? i.e If I enter values in Disk Space for example, no matter what configurable options I set up - those will not be configurable - and the value from the "Advanced Mode" will override it. The documentation doesn't mention advanced mode, but as that's the only option that allows values to be set up for the product, I guess that is what it is referring to.

What I'd like to do is set a base price for the product, and the base limit of a resource  - let's say 5GB of space included in the price - and then allow the client to choose if they want to purchase more at the time of ordering, or later. I have a terrible feeling, none of the basics have been covered here at all. It looks a bit s**t.

It's possible, with trial and error, I might get it to do what I want. If the documentation was a bit more clear and more thorough it would help a lot. I think the instructions for this were perhaps written a few versions ago - and not updated.

it hasn't been updated in 2 years, and I think it was a few years before then it was last updated before. 9_9

to be honest, i've never used it - it's a pity I can't have it on a dev license to play with as then I could answer questions on it, but unless another CPA user comes along, you may need to communicate with support - i've seen many threads on CPA go unanswered over the years, so how many existing users are here available to reply, I don't know.

I think it will probably just about work ok. Not tested it fully yet. Shame they haven't included any LVE limit options.

It turns out despite the instructions saying you have to set the initial pricing to zero, it does seem to work with pricing added - so setting the "base" limits to free and having a starting price suits my needs. It does seem to work ok in the cart. Not got around to testing the provisioning yet. Like most things in WHMCS, its very basic and unrefined. They seem to develop the bare minimum of each module that they can get away with - then rarely bother to add any improvements. I honestly don't know why anyone hasn't come up with a better solution yet.