Product Addon display customfield and/or resend welcome mail?

Magistar

I have created a product Addon which is basically a plugin that can be downloaded from WHMCS and comes with a unique update license ID. 

In WHMCS I have setup the addon, coupled the associated download and added a custom field for the license ID. I get my license ID from an external website so post-order I manually add it. 

To get this working I need two things

1) the send an email with the license ID

2) to display the custom field on the addon page

Now for point 1 I finally figured out how to re-send the welcome mail. You can do that from the drop down menu on the product page. Don't get distracted by the big blue button to resend welcome mail, there is a dropdown box. Unfortunately right now the email is NOT including the license id.

This is not working:

Thank you for purchasing Plugin X

Your license ID is: {$service_custom_field_pluginlicense}

Do I need to use a different syntax for product addons?

Is there a way I can add this to the template so I can display the customfield for this addon? E.g. if field X != empty then display {pluginlicense}?

Edited by Magistar

The Product Addon Custom Field functionality was implemented solely with third-party developers in mind. The custom fields are designed to compliment the Service Property functionality and allow Product Addons to store data relevant to their parent Product/Service. You can read more about this at http://docs.whmcs.com/Service_Properties

At this time, Product Addon Custom Fields are not designed to be displayed in the shopping cart area, and are not considered during checkout. This is why required fields can be skipped without issue - they are not designed for information input by customers going through the checkout process.

I hope this information clears up why these fields do not display in the Client Area at this time.

that was the advice from v7.2.1 and I don't think it's changed since.