WHMCS 7.3.0 + PHP 7.1 + Ioncube 10.0.4

It's hard to find a definitive answer but some google results seem to indicate that PHP 7.1 with the latest Ioncube 10 loader may work with the latest versions of WHMCS. My ubuntu /etc/php/7.1/cli/php.ini has...

[PHP]
zend_extension = /usr/lib/php/20160303/ioncube_loader_lin_7.1.so

and that 10.0.4 loader is definitely there...

~ ll /usr/lib/php/20160303/ioncube_loader_lin_7.1.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1331112 Nov  2 12:04 /usr/lib/php/20160303/ioncube_loader_lin_7.1.so

but I get this when I test cron.php and the website has a similar error under fpm...

~ php /home/u/my.domain/var/www/crons/cron.php
PHP Fatal error:  The file /home/u/my.domain/var/www/crons/cron.php was encoded by the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5.6 and cannot run under PHP 7.1.
 Please ask the provider of the script to provide a version encoded with the ionCube Encoder for PHP 7.1. in Unknown on line 0

So is it possible to run these versions together? Do I have to tweak something, maybe reinstall WHMCS?

Or is it simply not possible and if so when will it be?

I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu Artful and one of the php modules I rely on (php-ssh2) no longer provides a module in /usr/lib/php/20151012/ but provides one for /usr/lib/php/20160303/ so I would prefer to move on and standardise on using php 7.1 across all servers as it was released a ~year ago.

• WHMCS Developer

WHMCS currently supports PHP versions 5.6 and 7.0. PHP 7.1 is not currently supported. (https://docs.whmcs.com/System_Requirements)

There was a discussion as part of the WHMCS 7.3 Beta process that discusses the challenges with PHP 7.1 support by @WHMCS David

You can see this at 

and it continues a little further down at 

I hope that this provides more information for you.