Reseller clients

markc

Is it possible to setup a client as a "reseller" within a single instance of WHMCS? If so then any pointers to documentation would be appreciated.

I thought it was possible to have a separate admin client that would have their own set of clients to bill and manage and some kind of reseller branding for that admin client but now when I google for any related documentation the only sense of "whmcs client reseller" I can find is for either reselling WHMCS itself or companies using cPanel with it's built in reseller abilities. I do not use WHM/cPanel so I have to build that provisioning side of things myself but I still need to know if it's possible to fully or partially emulate a reseller within WHMCS.

@brian! thanks for confirming what that reseller module offers is kind of what I was hoping WHMCS might do out of the box. Not so. That dedicated reseller module is quite expensive but it's cheaper than the annual lease of a separate WHMCS license and has the advantage that all information is in the same database with the same frontend interface so that point is a major win vs separate leases of WHMCS itself. Just in case I can manually emulate part of what I want to do with admin roles and groups, could you or anyone explain what the meaning of this "Reseller Account" option under Setup -> Products/Services actually means and does (see attachment) and/or exactly where the documentation for this option might be?

20171011_2229.jpg

52 minutes ago, markc said:

Just in case I can manually emulate part of what I want to do with admin roles and groups, could you or anyone explain what the meaning of this "Reseller Account" option under Setup -> Products/Services actually means and does (see attachment) and/or exactly where the documentation for this option might be?

https://docs.whmcs.com/Products_and_Services

Product Type

There are 4 options to choose from and used to determine only how WHMCS should handle it. This is only for system use - you use the groups to divide products into categories for your own use.

• Shared Hosting - for web hosting accounts
  • Reseller Hosting - for web hosting reseller accounts
  • Dedicated/VPS Server - for servers and displays server hostname, ns & root pw fields on signup
  • Other - for anything else

so in this context, it's talking about selling Hosting Reseller Accounts, not resellers in the sense I think you're describing above... e.g if I sell a reseller hosting account, and a customer buys it, they don't have any additional 'reselling' features in their client area to act as a "reseller", they've just bought a reseller hosting product for them to manage.

52 minutes ago, markc said:

That dedicated reseller module is quite expensive but it's cheaper than the annual lease of a separate WHMCS license and has the advantage that all information is in the same database with the same frontend interface so that point is a major win vs separate leases of WHMCS itself.

I know MG used to offer a 7-day trial version, so you may be better off contacting them about that first before committing to $200 a year... if trialling, i'd also recommend doing it on a dev site, rather than a live production site - just in case it causes issues.... if your WHMCS license is directly from WHMCS, then you should be able to apply for a free developers license, and that will give you an additional private installation for you to play with such addons.

another option, in terms of branding, might be the Billing Extension module - though that's aimed at you having multiple brands, rather than giving resellers brands - plus I don't think they would have the reseller options the MG module has, and may have a lot of features that you won't particularly need.

"they've just bought a reseller hosting product for them to manage"

I can understand that there is no extra functionality like what the Resellers Center module has to offer otherwise there would be no reason for that module to exist. I guess I simply do not understand the functionality of "Product Type" and how those 4 settings affect interaction between clients and their products. My feeling is that they are almost arbitrary labels or tags to distinguish a few common products types with Other Product/Service being a kind of wildcard for anything other than the first 3. A set of categories without any extra real functionality.

I did read this in the docs but that one sentence description does not give me any idea how to use or take advantage of that setting -> Reseller Hosting - for web hosting reseller accounts

I guess it means that if one has a module and/or provisioning software that is "reseller" aware then the category/label to distinguish those products is already there as a fundamental part of the WHMCS core code to support any extra reseller modules. I do have a dev setup so I should investigate roles and groups to see if there is anything I can squeeze out of them but, again, the documentation is so brief I might be wasting my time. Thanks for your input.

4 minutes ago, markc said:

My feeling is that they are almost arbitrary labels or tags to distinguish a few common products types with Other Product/Service being a kind of wildcard for anything other than the first 3.

correct! :idea:

they have limited different functionality, e.g as the docs suggest, a VPS product type will ask for hostname, nameservers etc during the ordering process - the others won't.

23 minutes ago, markc said:

I did read this in the docs but that one sentence description does not give me any idea how to use or take advantage of that setting

if you take WHM as an example...

https://docs.whmcs.com/CPanel/WHM#For_a_reseller_package

24 minutes ago, markc said:

I do have a dev setup so I should investigate roles and groups to see if there is anything I can squeeze out of them but, again, the documentation is so brief I might be wasting my time.

I think that might fall under the heading of wasting your time - clients are clients, admins are admins (of varying degrees)... you can't really give clients (even limited) admin roles... I suppose you could assign them to different client groups, but i'm not sure that would get you much further forward.. you could tweak their invoices based on the group, but then you'd have to think about doing the same for emails... and that's before you even think of some way to allow the resellers a way to manage their clients.

• 2 weeks later...

@brian! Thanks so much for your feedback, really appreciated. After a week to think about things I lean towards paying for the Resellers Center module if I really want to get serious about multi-level admin support.

Edited by markc