Domain Renewal: Enom or WHMCS

datawebcorp

Prior to implementing WHMCS, I had Enom auto-renew my domains. I have WHMCS configured to renew domains also. What's happening is that Enom renews the domain automatically, and then WHMCS renews it again. I know I can just turn-off the Enom auto-renew or I can dis-associate the domains in WHMCS from the registrar (in this case, Enom) so WHMCS bills for the renewall but doesn't actually renew the domain with Enom.

I guess I'm just wondering what others here are doing: Did you turn-off your registrars auto-renew feature and you just use WHMCS to process the renewal, or do you let the registrar auto-renew and use WHMCS for just the billing part?

I'm inclined to turn-off the auto-renew on Enom.

Thanks for your input.

• WHMCS CEO

You should disable the auto renew at Enom as that will take place regardless of if your customer pays you to renew the domain or not. Where as WHMCS will only renew the domain if your customer pays you for it to be renewed.

Matt

Matt, with my clients, I renew regardless of whether or not they've paid on time (pretty close with all of them). Is it possible to use WHMCS to register and renew where it's not set to autorenew (I have a few that don't), but to ignore contacting Enom when it is set?

I guess what I'm asking is if it can be made to poll Enom and check the status of autorenew. If it's on, ignore renew from within WHMCS to Enom (do nothing except bill), if off, contact Enom on payment to renew.

I guess what I'm asking is if it can be made to poll Enom and check the status of autorenew. If it's on, ignore renew from within WHMCS to Enom (do nothing except bill), if off, contact Enom on payment to renew.

That makes it a "registrar" specific issue - how about having on the domain a flag saying "auto-renewed, do not process automagically" so that when theclient pays it doesnt go through the usual steps.

We have our own domains set to autorenew with Nominet every 2 years, and will still be managing them in WHMCS as a "customer" so the flag works for everyone :)