Support agent not receiving ticket emails from user

DeWebDude

Hello All,

I have a support operator which does not get notified if someone replies to a ticket assigned to them.

I have them in assignd departments with the righer Department checked, but NOT "enable ticket notifications".

I did read the documentation that states

"For staff to receive email notifications of new tickets and client responses in a particular department, tick the Enable Ticket Notifications checkbox on the aforementioned page. Ticket attachments will not be emailed to staff."

So I understand I need to check that, but I want to clarify something and make sure I'm not missing anything.

If a NEW ticket comes in for a department we have assigned to "Bob" and he has the "Enable Ticket Notifications" he will get that email right?

If we then assign the ticket to "Bob" and the cleint responds to the ticket, he will also get notified right?

Now the problem.

If I have 5 people who are all in the same department as "Bob", all with "Enable Ticket Notifications" ALL 5 will receive the "New Ticket from Client X" notification.

Then once someon takes the ticket or is assigned the ticket only that person gets the notifications.

I don't really want all 5 to see the ticket, ONLY if I have assied them the ticket, so they don't have 100 emails.

So I didn't have the notifications enabled, but apparently if thats NOT enabled the support operator assigned the ticket WON'T get the notification when the client replies to the ticket.

Does this sound right?

Thanks

That is a useful chart, thank you.

According to this, the "asigned user" should have received the "client reply" and they didn't.

So my question remains, if the Support Operator is in the department, but does NOT have Enable Ticket notifications, should they have received the client reply if the ticket was assigned to them?

and

If we enable Ticket Notifications, will ALL the Suport Operators assigned a department with Enable Ticket Notifications on get a message on every created ticket ( this is answered by the chart as yes ).

According to this, the "asigned user" should have received the "client reply" and they didn't.

You might wish to trace the email (review server logs) sent from the system to see if it was sent to them and was simply filtered or something. I've had it before where I felt a script wasn't working right only to find it was not at fault. Worth ruling that out. ;)

Filtering would have been helpful, but in this case I don't see any entries for the tech in System Email Message Log.

I then made a test by using a test client to send a message, and I don;t see it going out, which I have a default email of everything to myself since we are still testing and would have expected to see that at least.

From that linked page: "You will not receive an email notification for any changes you initiate yourself."

Maybe that's why?

To test this, I'd suggest making a new department, and assigning only yourself to it. Have someone else open a ticket, as if a customer (also test account, email not at your company), and try notifications first as the ticket assigned staff (which should be what you desire here), and if that continues to fail, check the box for the full on assigned department option and test.

If you have access to watch the server's mail operation (not within WHMCS, but tailing the mail log and grepping the expected email alias), I'd suggest having that running while testing, in case it's actually working, but the WHMCS log isn't recording it for some reason.

From root (change as needed):

tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog | grep 'alias'

If it's still not functioning after those tests, it might be time to ask support for a little guidance.

I didn't see the mail log entries, and didn't see the entries in the log file from WHMCS.

I did do the tests by hand to a fake client and found it does send messages as described, but for some reason those never made it.

OH and I am support :)