I copy a script, change a word and it fails. Why?

Rigsby

I am so frustrated. I am a php novice and have been stuck inside this lovely little world all day; it's like my first day of school :)

Can someone please explain to me why some of the php scripts that I copy & paste from websites work, but then don't work if I change one single and lonesome word. For example, the below script worked fine...

<?php

#adding Menu Item to primaryNavbar

use WHMCS\View\Menu\Item as MenuItem;

add_hook('ClientAreaPrimaryNavbar', 1, function (MenuItem $primaryNavbar)

{

$primaryNavbar->addChild('Menu Name')

->setUri('https://www.example.com/')

->setOrder(70);

});

...but when I changed 'Menu Name' to something else, I got a white page. This has happened so many times today with, I don't know, about a hundred or more scripts. Is it related to what version php my provider is running or something more technical?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help :)

because hooks are very fragile and if you get the slightest thing wrong, you'll get a blank screen... and if you get them very wrong, you can get a blank screen in both client and admin areas!

use the "Display errors" option I mentioned previously.

Good advice from Brian. That should tell you what's failing, usually.

Guessing what the problem might be; if the syntax is exactly the same (name enclosed by single quotes) I'd consider the editor being used, followed by upload method may be behind this.