Pound £ sign in notes deletes the note

jswilko

Hi,

If I type the £ sign into a clients notes and then click the "Add New" button a blank note is saved, the text vanishes, there is just a blank note in the preview area. Without the £ sign it works fine.

Any ideas?

Version: 7.1.1 (All new files and folders, old files and folders deleted when I upgraded to V7.1.1, I moved servers)

Thanks

John

John,

it's not something i'm seeing on our v7.1.1 dev...

YTb9Ugl.png

perhaps one of the files got corrupted on upload - so re-uploading the vendor folder won't do any harm to try... or perhaps a database charset issue...

if all else fails, might be worth a ticket to support.

Hi John,

What System Charset should I use please?

for now, i'd suggest going back to iso-8859-1 and living with the notes issue.

changing the system charset in the settings doesn't convert the existing data within the database to utf8.

http://docs.whmcs.com/Localisation_Tab#System_Charset

Leave at the default value UTF-8 unless your language contains characters not supported by this charset. If you do change it, files need to be resaved under that charset. To do that, open the language file you use from the lang folder in Notepad and then go to File > Save As and choose Encoding Type "ANSI". Save and then reupload and it should be fine again.

what I was going to suggest, before you replied yesterday, was to open a ticket with support about converting the db and whether you need to (e.g., perhaps there's a good reason why you're not using utf-8).. I could tell you how to convert it, but i'd feel more comfortable if WHMCS told you how... whatever happens, backup the db before making any changes to it.