Invalid certificate content update

When attempting an update from 7.1.0, General Release, 7.1.0-release.1 to 7.1.1, General Release, 7.1.1-release.1 via the auto updater I receive the following message and the update fails.

Loading composer repositories with package information Updating dependencies - Installing whmcs/whmcs (7.1.1) Downloading Validating /home/REDACTED/public_html/vendor/whmcs/whmcs/REDACTED.zip File hash was validated. Hash: REDACTED  [WHMCS\Installer\Composer\ComposerUpdateException] Invalid certificate content update [--prefer-source] [--prefer-dist] [--dry-run] [--dev] [--no-dev] [--lock] [--no-plugins] [--no-custom-installers] [--no-autoloader] [--no-scripts] [--no-progress] [--with-dependencies] [-v|vv|vvv|--verbose] [-o|--optimize-autoloader] [-a|--classmap-authoritative] [--ignore-platform-reqs] [--prefer-stable] [--prefer-lowest] [-i|--interactive] [--root-reqs] [--] []...

I've tried enabling logging, error reporting and module logging but no further information is available. The health check shows that every (except the update) is all in good order.

Any one able to offer help?

It's now two days later and still no resolution. I was asked for further information and provided it promptly. I appreciate that this is over New Years but don't advertise 24/7 support if it is not actually 24/7 support.

I just want the auto updater to function as advertised. To date it has not worked once for us.

Just in case anyone else sees this error. It turned out to be zero byte .crt files in the TEMPDIRECTORY/certs. I moved them out the way and the auto-updater worked (for the first time since 7 was installed).

No comment from WHMCS about the delay in responses though. I guess 24/7 doesn't actually mean that they work 24/7 for replies - it took for me to tweet @whmcs to get an answer.