Change default payment method

kasseh
Go to solution Solved by brian!,

I'm using whmcs V6.5 and in the profile tab I have clients with the Payment Method set to 'Select to Change Default'. Where do I find what the 'Default' setting is? and is it a global default setting or is it a setting that the client chooses on signup?. Is there a way I can force change all clients with the 'Select to Change Default' setting to 'Credit/Debit card' or do I need to go through the clients one at a time to change this.?

Kind Regards

AJ

• Solution
I'm using whmcs V6.5

I hope that's a typo! :)

and in the profile tab I have clients with the Payment Method set to 'Select to Change Default'. Where do I find what the 'Default' setting is? and is it a global default setting or is it a setting that the client chooses on signup?.

it's a default setting for that client only.

http://docs.whmcs.com/Clients:Profile_Tab#Payment_Method

This option can be used to perform a client wide update to all products/services, addons, domains & unpaid invoices of the default payment method that they are set to both now and in the future.

The client has the option to change it in their profile in the Client Area too.

In the Admin Area, you can change the payment method for future orders placed by the client, using the field on their Profile tab (as above); To change the payment method for invoices created by a specific service, use the field under the client's Products/Services (or Domains) tab.

Is there a way I can force change all clients with the 'Select to Change Default' setting to 'Credit/Debit card' or do I need to go through the clients one at a time to change this.?

you could do it via an SQL query if there are too many to do manually - the query will depend upon which payment setting that you want to change.

Hi Brian,

v6.3.1 sorry, I've no idea where I got 6.5 from :twisted:

I have about 300 to do so I think I will need to give it a go in SQL, wish me luck :)

I'm only in this position because I deactivated my PayPal payments pro gateway in error, which causes all my clients with Credit/Debit card set as their payment method to default to Paypal :(

Thanks for replying brian, much appreciated :)

v6.3.1 sorry, I've no idea where I got 6.5 from :twisted:

I have about 300 to do so I think I will need to give it a go in SQL, wish me luck :)

Good luck! :)

depending on what you want to change (e.g future orders or existing invoices), you'll need to look in the tblclients, tbldomains and/or tblhosting database tables.

it might also be an idea to backup the database first before you do anything else! :idea:

• 1 year later...

I had a similar question which i created a support ticket for and will share the answer here since it is not in the general documentation.

question:

How is the default payment method for new clients defined? We currently have a free trial product which clients order and then after 30 days we upgrade them manually to a paid product but it seems that direct debit is then chosen as their default paymemt method but this is problem since they never left us their bank account details (we have a separate payment gateway for this).

If i change the order of payment gateways for the paid product will this change their default payment method after we upgrade them? Or is their default payment method defined when they order the free product, and again, is this done by the order of payment gateways?

answer:

The system default payment method is the first payment gateway in the list when you view your gateways page.

Then, depending on if the client choose a gateway other than the default when placing an order, that client could be using something different than 'default', and then there is the ability to set on the product level a specific gateway as well.

The hierarchy is as follows:

1. Invoice level (if you have the option enabled for clients to choose their own gateway when paying an invoice)
  2. Product level (this can be set per each product the client has by viewing the product details and changing the payment gateway here)
  3. Client level (what is set in the drop down on the clients profile page)
  4. System default (the first gateway in the list of configured gateways)

Further to this, each product group you have setup with orderable products, you can hide specific gateways so only a certain one is used or vise versa.

So if they order the free product, and you have only a specific gateway setup for this, then when they upgrade to the paid version and that free product gateway is not available for the paid one, it will then default to whatever is the default gateway or whatever the client has selected as their gateway in their profile.