Problems with SendGrid/SMTP

Suddenly, on or about the 3rd of September, I started getting SMTP errors when e-mails were sent. Up until then things were working fine, and to the best of my knowledge, nothing has changed. The same SMTP Credentials work fine with a WordPress install on the same server, so it's something tied to WHMCS. I turned on the debug flag in the configuration.php and this is the report when trying to send an e-mail from WHMCS..

CLIENT -> SERVER: EHLO clients.halbrooktech.com

CLIENT -> SERVER: AUTH LOGIN

CLIENT -> SERVER: aGFsYnJvb2t0ZWNo

CLIENT -> SERVER: SnVseTE5OTdv

SMTP ERROR: Password command failed: 535 Incorrect authentication data

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

CLIENT -> SERVER: QUIT

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Email Sending Failed - SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

As I said, I have the exact same SMTP Settings in the SendGrid settings for WordPress and it sends with out issue, so it doesn't appear to be SendGrid or the Server in general.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Attached is a test file which simulates the connection to your SMTP mail server and attempts to send a simple test message:

* Please open the smtptest.php file in your preferred text editor and replace all the fields with the corresponding values in your WHMCS installation.

* Upload the file to your WHMCS directory

* Visit the file in your browser

If the email is sent a "Success" message will be displayed on-screen.

Any errors that occur in the email sending process will be displayed on-screen. Please work with your mail-server admin/hosting provider to resolve any errors displayed on-screen and adjust the settings within the file as necessary.

Once the test script is able to successfully send the test message, you can change the settings in your WHMCS Admin area to match (Setup > General Settings > Mail tab).

smtptest.zip