Creating a discount percentage for hosting package only?

-M-

I am reaching the end of the tunnel and I can finally see some light ahead...!

But I noticed a small issue with the use of coupon codes. Maybe I am using it incorrectly, but...

I created a discount coupon of 50% for several hosting packages. So far all is working.

However when I test the coupon it will also apply the discount to the configurable options (which are selected under the various hosting packages).

I only want to offer them a discount on the hosting package itself, not also on the configurable options.

For example:

Customer orders 'Webhosting A' which is being sold for 100 Euro.
He also selects Anti-Spam option (configurable option) for 10 Euro.
He also applies a 50% discount coupon (for the webhosting).

This would mean the total amount would be 60 Euro (100 Euro / 2 + 10 Euro).
Currently it will return 55 Euro instead, because the discount is also automatically applied on the 'Anti-Spam'.

Is this possible and is there a workaround for this?

Thank you.

Edited by MvdL1979
Clarified things with an example.

I am reaching the end of the tunnel and I can finally see some light ahead...!

the problem is that light is on the front of the WHMCS v7 train heading towards you...! post-2664-1237364331.gif

But I noticed a small issue with the use of coupon codes. Maybe I am using it incorrectly, but...

I created a discount coupon of 50% for several hosting packages. So far all is working.

Is this possible and is there a workaround for this?

you're using them correctly, the discount is applied to the product (including config options), addon, domain or combination (depending on the promo code setup).

there's a 3-year-old feature request about this... so don't hold your breath waiting for this to change. :roll:

https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/ability-to-exclude-configurable-options-from-promotion-discounts

I suppose the workaround would be to not use the same percentage discount for a number of products, but to assign a separate promo code to each product and discount each by a different fixed amount, e.g 'Webhosting A' by 50 Euro - that way it wouldn't matter which configurable options they chose, it would effectively reduce the base product by 50%.... although, I imagine you're going to find it a pain having multiple codes instead of just one... but that's using WHMCS for you! :)

the problem is that light is on the front of the WHMCS v7 train heading towards you...!

Please don't mention that!! :oops:

...I already saw the news about the v7 beta. I doubt, when it's released, everything will still function when I upgrade to it...

you're using them correctly, the discount is applied to the product (including config options), addon, domain or combination (depending on the promo code setup).

there's a 3-year-old feature request about this... so don't hold your breath waiting for this to change. :roll:

https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/ability-to-exclude-configurable-options-from-promotion-discounts

I suppose the workaround would be to not use the same percentage discount for a number of products, but to assign a separate promo code to each product and discount each by a different fixed amount, e.g 'Webhosting A' by 50 Euro - that way it wouldn't matter which configurable options they chose, it would effectively reduce the base product by 50%.... although, I imagine you're going to find it a pain having multiple codes instead of just one... but that's using WHMCS for you! :)

Man... That just sucks. Our current outdated Joomla ordering system (from 10 years ago) even had this function. :P

Yeah, I already thought also about creating several discount coupons, but that's just nasty.

It's really lame that WHMCS only spends time on silly translations, adding images to emails and other unimportant stuff, other than real functionality. Like the depending configurable options and better discount control. Those are features which are actually usable.

I will try to find a solution for this, or I will;

a) create several discount coupons with fixed discount prices (though it's not customer friendly, we will have to use several of them)

b) reduce the discount to 40%, which makes it less interesting to reduce the discount of configurable options.

Whatever way you look at it, it just sucks to be quite honest.

Man... That just sucks. Our current outdated Joomla ordering system (from 10 years ago) even had this function. :P

Yeah, I already thought also about creating several discount coupons, but that's just nasty.

It's really lame that WHMCS only spends time on silly translations, adding images to emails and other unimportant stuff, other than real functionality.

off the top of my head, I can't recall any differences with promotion codes from when I first started using WHMCS and today... that's over 3 years... perhaps there have been some subtle ones that I haven't noticed, but it kinda emphasises your point.

Like the depending configurable options and better discount control. Those are features which are actually usable.

I hadn't forgotten about the depending config options, just not have a clear Sunday recently... mini-heatwave in UK = Brian heads to the beach (5 minutes walk away!) on a Sunday and relaxes! :idea:

I will try to find a solution for this, or I will;

a) create several discount coupons with fixed discount prices (though it's not customer friendly, we will have to use several of them)

b) reduce the discount to 40%, which makes it less interesting to reduce the discount of configurable options.

Whatever way you look at it, it just sucks to be quite honest.

yep, whichever way you turn, they're crap solutions.

I was going to suggest b) but if you have a lot of config options, then calculating what the percentage should be is not simple.

an alternative would be to use product addons instead of config options as I don't think addons are discounted by a product promo code, but a) you've already set them as config options, b) there are pros and cons between c.o and p.a and c) it's still a crap idea to workaround a limited capability of WHMCS.

off the top of my head, I can't recall any differences with promotion codes from when I first started using WHMCS and today... that's over 3 years... perhaps there have been some subtle ones that I haven't noticed, but it kinda emphasises your point.

Says it all. :P

I hadn't forgotten about the depending config options, just not have a clear Sunday recently... mini-heatwave in UK = Brian heads to the beach (5 minutes walk away!) on a Sunday and relaxes! :idea:

No worries. It's something for later perhaps. Enjoy the beach while the good weather lasts, overhere it was good for a few days and now it's raining once again. :P

Was finally thinking about putting our new website online, until the coupon/discount thing came upon my plate. Sigh.

yep, whichever way you turn, they're crap solutions.

That's a better way to put it. :P

I was going to suggest b) but if you have a lot of config options, then calculating what the percentage should be is not simple.

Yup... I got quite a few configurable options. So it will be difficult. Especially we use our accounting department for billing and WHMCS' system.

an alternative would be to use product addons instead of config options as I don't think addons are discounted by a product promo code, but a) you've already set them as config options, b) there are pros and cons between c.o and p.a and c) it's still a crap idea to workaround a limited capability of WHMCS.

Though this is a grea idea, it will ruin the module ModulesGarden created for us. Which add article codes, which we use, to all of our products and configurable options.

And I somewhere know for certain it will not add article codes to "addons". Furthermore; it will also require to change the email templates, on which I have spend a ton of time.

So that's not an option for us...

I also created a support ticket with WHMCS (yeah, knowing better, but still).

Because I also contacted an developer with experience with WHMCS and he says nothing can be done through hooks either, because the discount/coupon stuff is located in the encoded files. Doh....

This all reminds me:

WHMCS is the World's Leading Web Hosting Billing & Automation Platform. A complete solution for web hosts, WHMCS provides everything you need to sell web hosting and related services with high levels of automation.

:twisted:

Edited by MvdL1979

Though this is a great idea, it will ruin the module ModulesGarden created for us. Which add article codes, which we use, to all of our products and configurable options.

And I somewhere know for certain it will not add article codes to "addons". Furthermore; it will also require to change the email templates, on which I have spend a ton of time.

So that's not an option for us...

oh I know all about your email templates! :)

I also created a support ticket with WHMCS (yeah, knowing better, but still).

I do like an optimist.. can do no harm though... it'll give you a chance to play "Support Roulette" and have a bet on what their response will be - i'll take...

"that feature is not currently supported by WHMCS - but we would welcome you to submit a feature request."

Because I also contacted an developer with experience with WHMCS and he says nothing can be done through hooks either, because the discount/coupon stuff is located in the encoded files. Doh....

I could have told you that! :idea:

oh I know all about your email templates! :)

Yeah. :P

I do like an optimist.. can do no harm though... it'll give you a chance to play "Support Roulette" and have a bet on what their response will be - i'll take...

"that feature is not currently supported by WHMCS - but we would welcome you to submit a feature request."

That was also what I expected and received. WHMCS is soooooooooo predictable.

To be honest; I didn't expect this kind of support. I remember when I was looking at WHMCS about 1 1/2 year ago (oh gosh, that's means I have been busy it way to long) and I read a review somewhere where they said that support was great. They needed something to be adjusted and it was behind the coded files. Guess what... They send him the decoded version.

Obviously, this was from even earlier / before. Now they wouldn't even consider doing that. Shameful to say the least... Why?

Easy; I am trying to find a solution for this issue (it's weird nobody else noticed this with the discount though), however WHMCS makes this impossible because it's behind coded files.

Ofcourse there are other *solutions*, but if those are legal... Who knows. :P

I could have told you that! :idea:

Well maybe there was a workaround.

The only "legal" solution would be to create a complete seperate new module which calculates discounts... But I don't know if that's worth the investment.