Several questions regarding domain names

TheGiveAway

Hi,

I have several questions regarding using WHMCS with domain reselling:

1. Is there a way, when I activate an order of a customer like

Hosting + Domain

to automatically force a change in the whois details sent to the registar for the domain.

For example:

all customers that signup a domain using my service, will show the email in WHOIS as "support@myhosting.com"

2. When a customer wants to buy a domain name, whmcs shows him the option to choose custom nameservers

How can I cancel it and prevent the customer from being able to choose it?

I tried to find the file:

configuredomains.tpl

but I couldn't find it in my templates.

On the registration, it shows the textboxes of nameservers, with 2 of them already filled with the nameservers "ns1.website.com ns2.website.com" , so I might just need to hide these fields.

3. Is there a way to give add free ID Privacy to a specific hosting package?

4. Can WHMCS automatically choose a domain registar, and wouldn't request me to choose from a drop down box

everytime from "None" -> "ResellerClub"?

and already have it placed on "ResellerClub"?

5. I've been told that when I signedup to resellerclub under WHMCS, that I need to add legal documantation to my website, regarding ICANN when I wish to resell domains along with the hosting

I contacted resellerclub about it, but they told me that they don't have these details, and I need to contact whmcs about it.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have several questions regarding using WHMCS with domain reselling:

1. Is there a way, when I activate an order of a customer like

Hosting + Domain

to automatically force a change in the whois details sent to the registar for the domain.

For example:

all customers that signup a domain using my service, will show the email in WHOIS as "support@myhosting.com"

you mean change the owners email to yours - thus preventing them from being able to transfer the domain away without your permission?

2. When a customer wants to buy a domain name, whmcs shows him the option to choose custom nameservers

How can I cancel it and prevent the customer from being able to choose it?

I tried to find the file:

configuredomains.tpl

but I couldn't find it in my templates.

On the registration, it shows the textboxes of nameservers, with 2 of them already filled with the nameservers "ns1.website.com ns2.website.com" , so I might just need to hide these fields.

it's the block of code that starts with {if $atleastonenohosting} - either hide them or make them read-only.

http://docs.whmcs.com/Order_Form_Templates

3. Is there a way to give add free ID Privacy to a specific hosting package?

you could use a Product Bundle - http://docs.whmcs.com/Product_Bundles

4. Can WHMCS automatically choose a domain registar, and wouldn't request me to choose from a drop down box

everytime from "None" -> "ResellerClub"?

http://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Configuration#Automatic_Domain_Registration

5. I've been told that when I signedup to resellerclub under WHMCS, that I need to add legal documantation to my website, regarding ICANN when I wish to resell domains along with the hosting

I contacted resellerclub about it, but they told me that they don't have these details, and I need to contact whmcs about it.

it might be worth opening a ticket with Support to get a definitive answer to that.

First, thanks a lot about the detailed answers, I really appreciate it!

you mean change the owners email to yours - thus preventing them from being able to transfer the domain away without your permission?

I don't care about my customers transferring to different registrars, this was not my intention, they can do whatever they want with their domains.

My customers have very little knowledge in computing, and most of them are shop owners that wish to open their own websites.

They are not experienced users like people from sites like webhostingtalk and such..For that reason, I'm trying to protect them from some havking attempts that happend to me when I purchased my first domain online:

They can be easily tempted, by spammers that would send them links pretending that the owner of the hosting (me)was the one who sent these emails, and steal their hosting/website details easily.(just by copying the template of my email, and sending them a fake page to login, and boom, their passwords were stolen.)

The only reason I'm want to do it, is because privacy protection started to cost 3$ recently for each domain, and I was trying to find a cheaper solution for the same idea of showing off protected details on WHOIS sites for my customers to prevent any fishing/hacking attempts.

Regarding the change of details, I noticed that it might be possible on the settings of "General settings--->>Domains"

on the bottom it is possible to change details to be default, but I wasn't sure if that is what I was searching for, since it didn't seem to change anything when I made a test order purchase.

Over here:

http://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Management

it says that it is possible manually for each one under the section "Viewing/Editing WHOIS Information"

But I'm looking for an automatic way that will apply to all the customers if that's even possible(perhaps putting a default email in the radiobutton "I want my domain details to be the same as the details I entered above", to be by default the same, except the email that will be hidden.

it's the block of code that starts with {if $atleastonenohosting} - either hide them or make them read-only.

http://docs.whmcs.com/Order_Form_Templates

Thanks for the help! but the problem is, I can't find the right file that contains this code.

I searched in the default template folder, and my template, but I just can't find the file, nor can't I find "configuredomains.tpl " as it states in the guide.

you could use a Product Bundle - http://docs.whmcs.com/Product_Bundles

Is it possible to create a product that contains free domain with ID protection?

I can see that by bundling I can have a separate product of hosting and separate for domain, but I can't find a way to put a pre-added addon of ID protection for free.

I would be really happy to know if such option is possible.

every time from "None" -> "ResellerClub"?

http://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Config...n_Registration

I entered the reseller club for all the TLDs, however, still when I go into the order to accept it, it is by default on "None" and not "ResellerClub" for some reason..

Thanks a lot for all the help!

The only reason I'm want to do it, is because privacy protection started to cost 3$ recently for each domain, and I was trying to find a cheaper solution for the same idea of showing off protected details on WHOIS sites for my customers to prevent any fishing/hacking attempts.

apart from Resellerclub, there are two other LogicBoxes registrars, Resell.biz and NetEarthOne - both offer privacy protection for less ($1.65 and $1.75 respectively)... they're probably cheaper for most TLDs too. :)

I assume that you also have Domain Theft Protection (otherwise known as Domain Locking) enabled on these domains? it should be free.

http://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/servlet/KBServlet/faq457.html

Domain Theft Protection helps ensure that your domain name remains safe from illegal domain name transfers. Enabling Theft Protection on your domain name will result in a Transfer (Away) Request for this domain name to another Registrar to fail at the Registry itself.

granted, it doesn't help if the spammers can obtain the customers login details, and disable the protection, but at least it is something.

Regarding the change of details, I noticed that it might be possible on the settings of "General settings--->>Domains"

on the bottom it is possible to change details to be default, but I wasn't sure if that is what I was searching for, since it didn't seem to change anything when I made a test order purchase.

that's just for tech/bill/admin contacts, so wouldn't change the details that you want to.

But I'm looking for an automatic way that will apply to all the customers if that's even possible (perhaps putting a default email in the radiobutton "I want my domain details to be the same as the details I entered above", to be by default the same, except the email that will be hidden.

technically, I don't think there's anything to stop you registering the domains in the client's name, but using your email address (or having it as an option for the client to choose) but a) you would have to make it clear on the site, and b) you would need to be very clear about it in your t&c too... it could probably be done with either a template tweak or an action hook.

personally, i'd avoid going down that road and continue with using ID Privacy if possible.

Thanks for the help! but the problem is, I can't find the right file that contains this code.

I searched in the default template folder, and my template, but I just can't find the file, nor can't I find "configuredomains.tpl " as it states in the guide.

take a look in /templates/orderforms/xxx where xxx is the name of your order form template, e.g, Modern, Comparison etc - you should find configuredomains.tpl in there.

Is it possible to create a product that contains free domain with ID protection?

I can see that by bundling I can have a separate product of hosting and separate for domain, but I can't find a way to put a pre-added addon of ID protection for free.

I would be really happy to know if such option is possible.

I can think of two ways to go with this - either create a product that includes a free domain, and then use that product in a product bundle along with IDP.... or modify the orderform template so that when product X is added, the IDP checkbox is enabled by default.

i've got a feeling that i've posted how to do the second option in another thread... either that, or i've done it privately for a client... or i'm going mad! :twisted:

I entered the reseller club for all the TLDs, however, still when I go into the order to accept it, it is by default on "None" and not "ResellerClub" for some reason..

when you accept the order, has the customer paid or are you still waiting for payment?

Note: With automatic domain registration disabled, the system will wait after a client has paid until an admin user manually reviews the order and authorizes it. At that point, the admin user can still initiate the automatic registration by accepting the order once they are happy the order is legitimate.