minFraud riskScore recommendation

netmotiv8

Hello,

We have just subscribed to the Maxmind's minFraud service. In WHMCS what is a recommended setting for the riskScore threshold to block an order. I gather it needs to be a value between 1-100.

I read the Maxmind site but I didn't understand the explanation they gave, it sound more like rocket science to me, mind you, it is Monday so perhaps my brain hasn't clicked into gear yet! :D

Cheers

Neil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It's 0-10 and their recommendation is you manually verify or phone verify anything over 2.5

Matt

Does the phone verification fraud score override the fraud score set for being blocked or vice versa.

I am thinking that I would like to set a block of anything of 5 and over to be blocked outright yet between 2.5 - 4.99 we would phone verify anything and 0-2.49 would be automatically processed.

I assume 'manual verify' refers to where an order has been blocked pending a review?

Are these sensible score settings do you think?

:D

Hi Neil,

We have been using MaxMind for almost a year now and we have our settings at 5 for phone verification. I have a few clients that their score was 7.50 but it was because they were missionaries (where they placed the order) yet their cc billing address was in the US. The first time it occurred he was on Live Help when the verification call came in; the next order he placed; he was on Live Help with us during the process and I just over rode the "Fraud" status.

We have moved our order procedure to manual so that each order is checked by a Staff Member this was because we had an order that MaxMind scored as a 4.? but within minutes after the payment was received and the order created the account, we received an Alert from MaxMind telling us that the credit card information might have been stolen, so we suspended the account and about an hour later, we received a notice from our Credit Card Company that the card was fraud.

Thankfully MaxMind caught it much sooner and we suspended the account before any damage was done. So now, we manually approve each order that is placed and paid for.

You lot are too lax ;)

We have ours set to 1.9 and 4, and it does a reasonable job of catching the regular attempts from various nations, who try fraudulent orders.

Banning free email systems significantly reduced fraud attempts, and we do get the odd *valid* @gmail user call up and order by phone as the system online rejects them.

Blocking the IP blocks of Nigeria, Veitnam, China and Columbia from the ordering server at the firewall has reduced chargebacks due to use of stolen cards to virtually zero.

Blocking the IP blocks of Nigeria, Veitnam, China and Columbia from the ordering server at the firewall has reduced chargebacks due to use of stolen cards to virtually zero.

Does the server with this block in place service any customer hosting accounts?

You mean people allow *customers* on the same servers as such critical things as a support system, billing system, live-chat system, knowledgebase ...

Whatever incredidbly stupid ideas will people come up with next ;)

You mean people allow *customers* on the same servers as such critical things as a support system, billing system, live-chat system, knowledgebase ...

Whatever incredidbly stupid ideas will people come up with next ;)

Yes I know, but had to ask. Especially since it seems 95% of users here do ;)

ooops I guess I am one of those incredibly stupid idea children too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There are several posts in here that mention manually verifying phone orders BEFORE their are charged for, in addition to using minfraud. How is this possible if the order passes with a good risk score, doesn't the order just get charged for after it's score is ok? If not how can we force all orders to be phone verified by OUR staff first?

Thanks,

Jon C.