Email Forwarded tickets changing departments

DarthCaniac

Hey everyone!

Unless you disable it, WHMCS emails a "You have opened a ticket" email back to all incoming emails. Works great for clients. But, when someone like Paypal or similar emails, it starts a "ticket war" between WHMCS and PayPal. WHMCS emailing PayPal that it opened a ticket, PayPal replying that emails are not accepted at that address, and so on.

So I created a silent ticket inbox that is invisible to clients, and does not send an auto reply. Works great, right? Yup When companies email silent@mysite.com, it doesn't reply, but makes a ticket.

Now here is where it gets tricky.

I set up forwarders on my site, like datacenter1@mysite.com -> silent@mysite.com, and ourbank@mysite.com -> silent@mysite.com.

Here is the problem:

Unless the email is directly addressed to silent@mysite.com, it sends the tickets to presales questions, thus causing the email war problem again.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this before, and if so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks,

-Josh

No servers were harmed in the making of this post.

Hello DarthCaniac,

Are the emails still being piped into the ticket system or forwarded to a pipe or is the only desired outcome of datacenter1@mysite, for example, is to forward to silent@mysite. If that is the only desired outcome then you will want to ensure that the forward that pipes into the ticket system is removed. I am assuming that you don't want to disable the autoresponder for new tickets in that department that email is being sent to so that option is not viable.

Another option would be to create a new department that is hidden from your clients with the autoresponder disabled and have one specific email address for the likes of PayPal and others to use that pipes into this department only. That way customers are not submitting tickets there and your not getting into autoresponder war.

Let us know if either of these works for you.

--Thanks

Hello DarthCaniac,

Are the emails still being piped into the ticket system or forwarded to a pipe or is the only desired outcome of datacenter1@mysite, for example, is to forward to silent@mysite. If that is the only desired outcome then you will want to ensure that the forward that pipes into the ticket system is removed. I am assuming that you don't want to disable the autoresponder for new tickets in that department that email is being sent to so that option is not viable.

Another option would be to create a new department that is hidden from your clients with the autoresponder disabled and have one specific email address for the likes of PayPal and others to use that pipes into this department only. That way customers are not submitting tickets there and your not getting into autoresponder war.

Let us know if either of these works for you.

--Thanks

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the reply! The goal is to not directly give out the silent@mysite.com email, and instead to give each company it's own private forwarded email (That way if they start spamming, I only need to change one address). I was hoping though to have just one department for all the forwarded emails :!:

-Josh

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

WHMCS will automatically block email loops if 10 emails are imported from the same address in 15 minutes.

Failing that you could block the sender under Setup > Support > Spam Control.

Your proposed method would require a separate support department for each email address.