Reset Client Password

morebob

Problem: The current "Reset & Send Password" creates a blank password and sends an email message to the client that does not match the reset process. (write me if you want detail on this)

From an Admin viewpoint I would like to suggest that the "Reset & Send Password" link on the Client Profile page be changed to something similar to what follows.

------------------------------------------------------

New Password __________

[x] Send Password To Client Reset

------------------------------------------------------

"Reset" would be a button or link. "[x]" would be a checkbox defaulted to checked.

1. This would allow me change passwords on the fly with the option to not "bother" the client with an email. There are several scenarios where this would be useful to an admin. One example would be where I am on the phone or emailing with the client and they are requesting that I give them a new password.

Note: It is very common for users to forget their passwords. I usually keep records of them so I can quickly tell them. This change would at least be a quick way to get them into the system instead of going through the email, click a link etc. process.

* A password to get into a system should never be set to blank, as it does now when clicking on the current reset link.

** As a side note it would be helpful if Admins could see passwords.

You can change a clients password easily by going to the Profile tab for the client in the WHMCS Admin panel (e.g. clientsprofile.php?userid=1 ). You just type the password into the box and then save the changes.

The "Reset & Send Password" link should not email a blank password. It should auto-generate a password and send it to the client. So it sounds like something's going wrong.

Have you checked that the email template is correct? It should contain this code that will be the new password for the client:

{$client_password}

Setup > Email Templates > General Messages > Automated Password Reset

I believe the reset process is only used for clients who are resetting the password themselves from the client area.

Hi there,

My customers is can not reset own password.

Firstly opening pwreset.php and submitting email input. And coming first email for pwreset.php. And clicking to sended reset link but only comes message " your password correctly changed. " but not any another mail or new password is not coming to customers.

I think your template might be out of date... everything is right up until you get the "recently" email... the link in that email should take you to a page where the client can enter their new password themselves - it is no longer sent to them by email.

the two template files you should check are pwreset.tpl and pwresetvalidation.tpl - compare yours to the ones in the latest whmcs download and make the appropriate changes.

• 7 years later...

I cannot understand the reason for this update -

The admins need to be able to manually reset passwords.

This is something that we wrestle with constantly.  Waste of time.

Users can't seem to reset their own password. When or if they do, it doesn't seem to work.

Please: bring this feature back

Why should we have to buy a third party plugin to do something as simple as reset a password? 
That's what I'm going to have to do today. 

• 1 year later...

Hello @brian!

Please help me to back this feature, 

On 3/8/2014 at 5:12 AM, brian! said:

I think your template might be out of date... everything is right up until you get the "recently" email... the link in that email should take you to a page where the client can enter their new password themselves - it is no longer sent to them by email.

the two template files you should check are pwreset.tpl and pwresetvalidation.tpl - compare yours to the ones in the latest whmcs download and make the appropriate changes.

We are facing very much issues about this, customer can't change passwords & it's wasting our support time.