Redemption pricing

durangod

I did find a suggestion for adding a redemption pricing option in the suggestion area but it does not appear anyone has done anything with it and when i tried to read the thread it told me i did not have permission to do so.

In the mean time what have most of you been doing with redemption management. I am guessing you just have to manually bill the client thru a manual invoice and then take care of the redemption sale inside your reseller registrar account.

Or is there now a redemption managment option in WHMCS and i just missed it?

To be specific here, i would like to know if WHMCS allows someplace to store the redemption fees such as for opensrs $80 redemption fee.

Thanks

Edited by durangod

there was a post about the ICANN changes, expiry and redemptions made by WHMCS John in the blog - I thought it was a forum post, but couldn't find it... then I checked the blog!

http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=78862

doesn't specifically answer your point about what to do if a domain goes into redemption, i.e billing, but the trick is not to let things get that far in the first place.

I would hope that, at some point, there will be a redemption management option added - either based on a tld, a registrar or set amount.

Thanks thats good info,

although i dont want to lock myself in to any max amount for redemption fee which could bite me in the shorts.

ok i set my notices to 60 30 15 7 so i should be ok with that part.

Yeah i hope that someone comes out with a mod or at least whmcs has some kind of storage for the amounts at some point. Until then yes we dont let them get that far, and what i might do in the mean time is maybe create a custom field via admin panel to at least have the redemption fee notated somewhere in the profile, or maybe even add a popup help window or have a page with the rates on there. Something ya know.. one way to keep it from going that far is to let them know how expenisive it is to get it back.

here is what i decided to put..

If you are registering or transferring a domain name you must also agree to the Domain Name Registration Agreement, that information can be found here http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/registrant-rights/benefits.

Domain renewal reminders will be sent in advance of expiration (@ 60, 30, 15, 7 days) via email to the address stored in your client area.

Should an expired domain enter the redemption period, the cost of restoring the domain shall be no more than the applicable fee from the registrar which we pay. This means that we do not pad profit on top of this fee. You pay exactly what we pay.

Domain pricing is displayed on our website via the order form as well as the domain suggestion tool.

Edited by durangod

Just wanted to share what i did here.

I created a custom profile field called Redemption Notice and set it as text area. Then checked admin only and also checked who on invoice.

in the description i put:

Expired domains that reach the redemption stage are very expensive.

That is about as much as you can put, maybe about 10 more char is all before it goes off the page on the invoice. So i kept it short. The idea is to bring attention and top of mind awareness to the subject and not to totally explain the subject. So maybe they will contact me with quesitons on it, thats the point.

Now this will show up on the invoice. To modify that text for the invoice just to go their profile in admin and change add or change the text in the box. Yes you will sadly have to add this text to every customer admin profile box, but its easier for me to do this since my base is small. At least maybe it will work for now until someone comes up with something dif or better.

an alternative solution, rather than creating a custom profile field, might be to add another html table box to invoicepdf.tpl - this way, you can add as much text as you want (within reason!), change colors, formatting, font size to suit your layout etc. and it will be added to all invoices... and should you need to modify it, you can do so by editing one file rather than a number of custom field entries.

with regards to your reminders, don't forget that OpenSRS will send their own email too 30 days *before* expiry (unless set to auto-renew) and 3 days *after* expiry - although you can login OpenSRS and slightly modify their templates to suit your own... but as per your above settings, 30 days before expiry, a customer with a OpenSRS-registered domain might receive two emails - one from OpenSRS on your behalf, and one from your WHMCS... if all your domains are handled through OpenSRS, then you could disable the 30 day setting within WHMCS, otherwise you may have to live with sending two emails...

plus, they'll receive upcoming domain reminders on the 11th of every month from WHMCS too!

• 1 month later...

I have created a module that will automatically add a redemption fee to expired domains. You can get the module at http://GJinternetSolutions.com/home/cart.php?gid=5

The module is still in BETA stage. Thre are no known issues with the redemption fee portion of the code; however, we are currently experiencing an issue with the WHMCS licensing portion of the code. We are baffled with the problem because it works on our local machine but not when the module is loaded on a remote server. That portion of the code is just a copy of what was provided by WHMCS. If anyone has experience with the WHMCS license code, we'll be happy to give you a copy of the code for this module to see if you can help pinpoint our issue. If you are interested, simply get yourself a free copy of the module at the link above and then let us know you are interested in helping pinpoint the problem by submitting a ticket at http://gjinternetsolutions.com/home/supporttickets.php

UPDATE...

It turns out there was nothing wrong with the module... Despite Host Gator repeatedly saying it wasn't, it turned out to be a Mod_Security rule blocking connections. The module should work fine now!!!

To save you scrolling back up, here are the details...

I have created a module that will automatically add a redemption fee to expired domains. You can get the module at http://GJinternetSolutions.com/home/cart.php?gid=5

• 3 months later...

Glenn

do you have any screenshots or literature on the module. There were a few questions asked and i didnt see the answer

1) can you set different redemption periods based on different domain extensions?

2) can you set a different redemption amount based on extension?

3) does it change the invoice or ADD in a redemption fee line (if so the redemption fee should be adjusted to take into account the renewal fee already on the invoice?

those are my main worries with this. also looks like whmcs has this feature request marked as planned, does that mean your going to stop with yours or are you working with them to make it a go?

Thanks

1) can you set different redemption periods based on different domain extensions?

Yes... The redemption fee is added when the domain expires so if you have WHMCS configured to appropriately expire domains, the redemption fee will be added at the correct time.

2) can you set a different redemption amount based on extension?

With the current version... No

3) does it change the invoice or ADD in a redemption fee line (if so the redemption fee should be adjusted to take into account the renewal fee already on the invoice?

It simply adds the redemption fee line to the current invoice. The renewal fee already on the invoice is left unchanged and remains on the invoice.

...looks like whmcs has this feature request marked as planned, does that mean your going to stop with yours or are you working with them to make it a go?

Functionality is always best as a core function as opposed to an addon plugin. This module can add the much needed functionality until such a time as WHMCS integrates the functionality into the core program. At that time, this module can simply be disabled by anyone using it.

Edited by growe

• 3 weeks later...

Brian, i did finally just remove the custom profile field and added the table to the tpl as suggested. I also created a new lang key in my lang override.

like so.. (put this right after notes section)

# added
# Redemption Text
$tblhtml = '<table width="100%" bgcolor="#ccc" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
   <tr style="font-weight:bold;text-align:justify;">
   <td>'.$_LANG['redemptiontext'].'</td>
   </tr></table>';

$pdf->writeHTML($tblhtml, true, false, false, false, '');
#end of add

comes out really nice on the botton of the page

When a domain has been expired it eventually reaches the redemption stage. To get the domain back can be very

expensive and those rates are normally $80 or more. We put this notice here in order to help notify all our clients how

important it is to NOT let your domain expire, especially to the point of reaching the redemption stage.

Question... would you happen to know what the attributes in the writeHTML command are, i guess i could google it but i thought you might have a better resource link for that.

thanks

Edited by durangod

Question... would you happen to know what the attributes in the writeHTML command are, i guess i could google it but i thought you might have a better resource link for that.

to be honest, I don't think i've ever had to change them (or i've been too lazy to!), but from memory I think its string; newline; bg; cell height; cell spacing and alignment.

but if I had to check for specifics, i'd just google it!