Upgrading an account

crucial

I'm wondering how upgrades in WHMCS are handled and have a few questions...

1. From the admin side, what is the best way to go about upgrading an account? Is there any special that should be done when upgrading an account?

2. The only method I can see from the admin side is viewing the package, selecting the tick box to update recurring amount, and then change the package to the package of choice. Does this just simply modify the package so next time it rebills, it generates an invoice of the correct value? Does any pro-rating take place? Or billing for the upgrade?

3. If we want to change clients to a different payment term, i.e. from monthly to yearly. How would you recommend this be done?

I searched the manual, and found there is an option to allow clients to automatically upgrade there account. I just wanted to find out how exactly this works, so a few more questions:

1. Does this pro-rate the charge for the upgrade? Or just charge the difference in package pricing?

• 2 months later...

I'd like to get an answer to this too. We have several clients who want to upgrade, and usually they have paid a year in advance.

So:

Client A on the mini plan ($5/mo) has paid 1 yr ($60)

3 mos, decides he wants to upgrade to the mega plan ($20/mo)

So he has $45 of 'credit' remaining, but now that will get used in 2.25 months, rather than 9 months if he stayed on the mini plan.

Can WHMCS handle things like this?

On teh product setup/config you specify which other products you want to allow an automated upgrade/downgrade for.

The client from within the client area can then "upgrade" their package to one you've enabled the feature on.

WHMCS pro-rata calculates the amount difference between the new order and the value for the time remaining, and sends an invoice out for the amount due.

On payment (subject to your automation settings) WHMCS performs the upgrade.

I must be missing something as when we have clients go through an upgrade, the system adds the new billing period to the existing period (prorated) . For instance a client with a yearly hosting plan still had 5 months left and upgraded. He was billed the prorated addition for the 5 months plus a year for the new. :( Is there a setting that can change this behavior?