Nominet PGP - Blank Emails - Where is it looking for gnupg?

Si

Hi,

I use modernbill and the nominet module is working with my key without issues. So the keys work and gnupg is working on my server.

I'm setting up WHMCS with a view to using it, and looking at the Nominet module in WHMCS, there are a couple of major differences to that of modernbill and I'm convinced the issue lies somewhere in those differences.

1) Modernbill mod requests the server paths of

i) path to gpg: in my case it is /usr/bin/gpg

ii) path to gnupg: in my case it is /home/mydomain

iii) command and path to sudo: in my case again it is /usr/bin/sudo

Question:

WHMCS doesn't ask for this information so where is it 'assuming' these paths / files are? Can we change them?

2) Modernbill gives SSH instruction to remove the secret phrase so it is not included anywhere in our database.

WHMCS asks us to input our secret phrase during setup. ?

Is that compatible with how we have removed the phrase during the MB install? Do we who have it working with MB leave the secret key out of WHMCS configuration?

At present all I get are blank emails and this would mean to me that one of the paths above is incorrect, or the key is not being found (or both).

Anyone shed any light?

Incidentally I host my support/billing domain with another company in case of outages and don't have SSH on this account. The hosting company set up the MB install using SSH on my behalf and I don't want to ask them to mess about with something that is already working on a live site.

I just want to get something that is working with one script, working with another.

Thanks.

1. learn to use the forum search facility, it will save you a *lot* of time :P

1) ModernBill mod requests the server paths of

i) path to gpg: in my case it is /usr/bin/gpg

ii) path to gnupg: in my case it is /home/mydomain

iii) command and path to sudo: in my case again it is /usr/bin/sudo

WHMCS doesn't ask for this information so where is it 'assuming' these paths / files are? Can we change them?

Path to gpg should be irrelevant as its on the standard linux search path, so you dont need to supply it

Path to the gnupg conf and keys - will be /home/(user)/.gnupg and is the standard location for it, a newer version of the Nominet plugin may add the facility to specify

Sudo isnt used by the plugin, it uses php exec commands and file creation/read commands and executes as the user your apache is running as. So path to sudo isnt needed.

2) ModernBill gives SSH instruction to remove the secret phrase so it is not included anywhere in our database.

Without the passphrase you PGP cant sign anything, so MB must be storing it somewhere.

Incidentally I host my support/billing domain with another company in case of outages and don't have SSH on this account.

Hosting your support site "offsite" is an OK idea, hostin it on a shared service rather than a VPS or dedicated server isn't.

You will need SSH to be able to use the "tests" in the other threads about the module to see whats going wrong.

Hi Othellotech,

Thanks for the information.

I did search the forums and while there were quite a few nominet threads I didn't quite find the specific information you provided, hence my post and thankfully the enlightenment from you. :lol:

I notice another user talking about root and user differences. Can you tell me exactly where the keys must be uploaded to. ie, what folder. if sudo isn't used and it's php exec. Should my already uploaded MB key work, or should I upload another copy to another location.

Just a thought on documentation: Perhaps it exists already, but I haven't found it, (apart from the short nominet page in the manual which only covers configuration and not how or where to upload pgp keys), sorry, but with all of these posts re the nominet module and similar errors, some install docs with step by step instructions for getting the pgp working with WHMCS and it's setup would be helpful?

Thanks again

Si

I'm sure the WHMCS team will condense these threads into better documentation for the manual at some point :D

Its difficult to say where you need to upload the key to as every server can be setup differently, but in *general* it would be to /.gnupg/ in the users home directory.

So on a cpanel server with phpsuexec running it would be /home/{user}/.gnupg/ for secring.gpg & pubring.gpg & gnupg.conf

Its difficult to say where you need to upload the key to as every server can be setup differently, but in *general* it would be to /.gnupg/ in the users home directory.

So on a cpanel server with phpsuexec running it would be /home/{user}/.gnupg/ for secring.gpg & pubring.gpg & gnupg.conf

Thats what I thought and that's where I have it. Yet no joy. Baffled why it's working with MB and not with WHMCS. Thanks for the help.

Thats what I thought and that's where I have it. Yet no joy. Baffled why it's working with MB and not with WHMCS. Thanks for the help.

ask your host to run the tests as detailled on that other thread or to enable a jailed shell so you can test or install a 15 day trail onto your own serevr to test/debug :)