Free domains

towens

Currently when a domain's price is set to $0 the field becomes disabled. We have a unique system where we only have current users that we add in the system but we want them to be able to order a domain and hosting without the form appearing as a charge. Obviously we can do a coupon but it's confusing the user to see a price associated with the domain and then have it be free on checkout. If we apply the free domain when purchased with hosting it doesn't apply when you set the hosting to free as well. We can't seem to figure out how we can make this work so that the checkout allows a user to pick their hosting account and a domain without it costing anything. Any ideas?

The problem with this approach (for our group -- I'm a colleague of the original poster) is that group discounts don't show up on the checkout screens -- they're only applied at the time of invoicing. We want it to be clear to our users that we will never charge them for this and not have them balk at participating because they think there is some hidden/future cost.

how about product bundles....

http://docs.whmcs.com/Product_Bundles

you can setup a hosting product, in pricing make payment type = free and then make a product bundle with this package included... no pricing is shown on screen until checkout (it'll either say free or 0.00)... these bundles can be linked to directly or available on the order form... prices can be overriden... at some point, you may need to edit the order form template to hide registration prices and I made a post earlier today outlining how to do that.

from your description, I think this will work for you.

Edited by brian!

I'm reluctant to post this link, but I 'think' it will do your job. I use it on my own site, with a few bugs, and I've been disappointed with support responses, but the developer assures me a new version is being coded - but its been a while waiting and communication isnt great - but there's a 7 day trial, so it may be worth you testing it:

http://www.hostthebest.com/resellerwhmcs.php

Thanks for the responses! We've played a bit with product bundles. Might even be able to hack the CSS to hide pricing info altogether. We'll keep playing around with our options. I know this is definitely an edge-case scenario (offering everything for free, but only to existing users in the system and only allowing 1 product and domain per user).

Si, I'm not sure how that link would help us. We're not using the reseller functionality of WHM at all, just "selling" existing users we've imported in to the system a single domain and hosting for free through the cart.

Si, I'm not sure how that link would help us. We're not using the reseller functionality of WHM at all, just "selling" existing users we've imported in to the system a single domain and hosting for free through the cart.

You've got to think a little outside the box.

Give each user one product (name it a licence). It doesn't need to cost anything.

That product unlocks whatever product group you want. ie. a free hosting group with a free domain included.

Forget the term 'reseller'. In the true sense of the word the product is not for resellers, but it will do what you want it to do from your description and allow you to let the customers order the product themselves, or you can do it for them if you so wish of course. I'll leave it with you. The 7 day trial might be worth you looking at to understand my post better. Have fun :-)