WHMCS Painfully Slow To Redirect To Payment Gateway

ititch

After pressing the "Complete Order" button, it is taking a whopping 20 seconds for the "Please wait while you are redirected to the gateway you chose to make payment" notice page to load and about 30 seconds in total for customers to be redirected to the payment gateway. Obviously this is far too long and our customers to wait, and our drop-off rates during this wait are extreme.

The rest of our website and WHMCS installation load and respond very quickly - it is just this final (crucial) step that is letting us down and causing us nightmares when we see the number of unpaid invoices and lost income every day. If we can't sort this out soon we will have to ditch WHMCS altogether.

Each time we log a support request with WHMCS they assure us that it must be something wrong with our server. However, I have employed 3 very experienced Linux SysAdmins to look at the server and they all assure me that it is working exceptionally well, and we are not receiving any errors. We are running a Apache VPS with only this one website on it. The WHMCS installation was done by a WHMCS staff member. The server and website work great with other systems and our redirect time to payment gateways used to be lightning quick when not using WHMCS.

The problem happens no matter which payment gateway we use. It is not a problem with our website coding as it also occurs on a the default WHMCS template page where we have not applied any code.

It would be great if someone who knows the nuts-and-bolts of WHMCS can tell me exactly what is occurring within the system when some pushes the "Complete Order" button and give suggestions on how to fix this issue. Say, for instance, could it have something to do with the way the system automatically sends out emails when someone completes an order, and could this be slowing things down?

I would love to hear from other people if they have had similar issues.

• 2 months later...

We also have painfully long wait after the "Complete Order" button is clicked, also no matter which shopping cart or payment gateway is used.

Our WHMCS install is the only site running on a 16GB RAM dedicated server which runs smoothly except for this one issue, so the problem doesn't lie there.

We're also seeing abandoned orders and duplicate orders because of the problem.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

You can adjust the redirect time if you like by editing the /templates/*your active template*/forwardpage.tpl template.

You can specify the time WHMCS waits after the page has finished loading before redirecting the user to the gateway, default is 5 seconds.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Do you have any third party/custom addons or hooks installed? I've known some have slowed down the invoice generation, so it would be worth removing them or making a fresh install elsewhere on your server to see if the problem persists.