A challenge: Can you create a CPanel Account *without* a domain name

markedmunds

Hi all,

I am creating a membership website which uses WHMCS as the billing platform and has hosting as a freebie part of the package.

This means that when a user signs up to our site, they are signing up for the complete package and do not yet know what domain name they will want to use for their site (simply because they need to see whats in the membership site to be able to choose it).

So, I'm trying to use WHMCS to handle an unusual situation and am not sure if I can do what I want however I am happy writing code and poking around with the hooks and modules (I'm currently creating a module to give access to the membership site when a product is provisioned in WHMCS)

We are using CPanel and I can get all of the standard provisioning to work ok - with domain name. However, if there isn't a domain name, it doesn't work (as expected from the documentation).

So, my questions are:

1. Is it possible to provision a reseller account without a domain name (or perhaps use a hook to set a sub domain name on the account to keep everything happy).

2. Or is it possible to create some free hosting packages which users can configure through the client interface *but* these free hosting packages are only available if they are have bought the membership product?

3. Or is there another way?

Thank you for any ideas and help,

Mark

Simple solution would be to have a demonstration account with limited access and functions

Once the customer knows the Domain Name then they receive a normall full account

You could use an account name which would then form part of the temporary IP address

However once the Domain Name is known this would have to be reconfigured