New Logo, Version 5, Wow

ninak

Some people really have no concept of software development :roll:

haha yep. Can spend a year on software and not be ready. In our app driven internet these days people take it for granted. It mostly comes down to resources these days as the applications are getting so big and complicated that it's much work for even a small company to handle.

One application I wrote took 8 months to write, and a year to debug. I was doing it completely myself, but that's a life of a programmer. :P

I rather wait for a polished working product myself, and seeing Version 4 how rock solid it is I expect nothing less from V5 :)

No pressure! :lol:

Whoa. I'm in the process of installing/upgrading to v5.02. First thing I see is "whmcscontainer" and "whmcslogo" CSS classes, and the style.css renamed whmcs.css...so why am I paying an extra $5/a month to remove the "powered by" line, when WHMCS is plastered everywhere in the code?

I understand being proud of your work, and I also know that anyone who's familiar with WHMCS can tell what you're using (just as the "/wp-content/" directory signifies a WordPress install). But the main reason most of use pay extra to have the powered by line removed is for security.

And yes....I *can* go through and change the class ID names, etc. But that's a lot of work that I wasn't looking forward to nor expecting to have to do.

I was really, really looking forward to this upgrade. Hopefully the rest of it will be worth the extra work.

Buzzkill.

Also, the header.tpl shouldn't be listed as optional, since the directory structure is changed (CSS moved to /css/ instead of inside the template directory), etc.

Whoa. I'm in the process of installing/upgrading to v5.02. First thing I see is "whmcscontainer" and "whmcslogo" CSS classes, and the style.css renamed whmcs.css...so why am I paying an extra $5/a month to remove the "powered by" line, when WHMCS is plastered everywhere in the code?

I did think this myself also. I contemplated removing all WHMCS references in the code but in the end I gave in :)

If you're looking to speed up this process Dreamweaver has a code replacement tool (edit > find and replace) which will greatly speed up the process.

It's also a bit annoying that the template folder has images in the "img" directory when all other templates use "images".

The design is very nice and it's clear how much works gone into it but I would love to see these changed in the future.

I did think this myself also. I contemplated removing all WHMCS references in the code but in the end I gave in :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this! I had expected to get clobbered by "hate replies" :) The new design is WONDERFUL and a gigantic improvement...I was just a little put off by the extensive CSS-branding.

If you're looking to speed up this process Dreamweaver has a code replacement tool (edit > find and replace) which will greatly speed up the process.

I haven't used DW since 1999....lol. I use Komodo Edit, which does great at find&replace. I just need to make sure the classes and IDs aren't being used for anything but CSS.

It's also a bit annoying that the template folder has images in the "img" directory when all other templates use "images".

Again, happy to hear it's not just me. I wondered if I was being overly picky. :)

The design is very nice and it's clear how much works gone into it but I would love to see these changed in the future.

The new design is beautiful, and I don't mean my comments to detract from that fact.

• WHMCS CEO

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm pleased to hear you like the new design. In response to the questions you raise though.

The reason for the CSS class name "whmcscontainer" is that it is designed so that it would never conflict with anything you already have in your design. Consider these 3 points though:

1. Even if it did not contain the words "whmcs", it is going to be on the websites of thousands of people, and so will be a common word that would be associated to WHMCS.

2. The majority of customers who visit your website are not going to start looking at your HTML source code, let alone notice the CSS class name buried within it.

3. "But the main reason most of use pay extra to have the powered by line removed is for security." - No that's not the main reason. The main reason is to avoid having a powered by line and to help support future development of WHMCS :) Displaying or hiding the powered by line does nothing in terms of security. If somebody really wanted to find WHMCS installs they just need to search for a filename included within it.

Also, the header.tpl shouldn't be listed as optional, since the directory structure is changed (CSS moved to /css/ instead of inside the template directory), etc.

Only in the new template style. If you are updating to that you would need to start from scratch with your integration, but for existing users any header.tpl changes are optional.

Matt

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm pleased to hear you like the new design. In response to the questions you raise though.

The reason for the CSS class name "whmcscontainer" is that it is designed so that it would never conflict with anything you already have in your design.

That's a good point. I initially had some conflicts and learned to work around them, this is just another adjustment.

Consider these 3 points though:

1. Even if it did not contain the words "whmcs", it is going to be on the websites of thousands of people, and so will be a common word that would be associated to WHMCS.

2. The majority of customers who visit your website are not going to start looking at your HTML source code, let alone notice the CSS class name buried within it.

3. "But the main reason most of use pay extra to have the powered by line removed is for security." - No that's not the main reason. The main reason is to avoid having a powered by line and to help support future development of WHMCS :) Displaying or hiding the powered by line does nothing in terms of security. If somebody really wanted to find WHMCS installs they just need to search for a filename included within it.

I'm supporting future development by the $13.95/month. The extra $5 to remove the powered by line is for security (to not make it quite so obvious and/or easy to find via Google) and to look a little more professional. And yes, if someone wanted to find WHMCS installs via Google, they could search for a filename. Or, now, a CSS class.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but a CSS class and a known WHMCS filename are the same in terms of a Google search. You're saying on one hand one doesn't matter but the other one does. Removing the "powered by" line is along the same reasoning most of us change the name of our admin directory. Security through obscurity.

Only in the new template style. If you are updating to that you would need to start from scratch with your integration, but for existing users any header.tpl changes are optional.

Matt

This confuses me, since as I said the location of the new CSS file is changed. If someone doesn't upgrade to the new header, which has the new CSS file linked in the head, how else would the new CSS be called into the main section of the new pages?

Let's just hope that automated billing works consistently. :) I'm still having 1 or 2 each month that don't get billed and it jumps around each month to different clients. It's bizarre. :(

Any pattern to it? Any chance clients paid ahead, and/or double paid one invoice which created a credit? I've had that happen a few times.

Any pattern to it? Any chance clients paid ahead, and/or double paid one invoice which created a credit? I've had that happen a few times.

Nope. I have a degree in accounting so I understand billing practices pretty well. I have NO online pay capability setup. Clients send me their checks or pay on my PayPal account and I manually record payments. I've checked the Next Due Date and it seems to be correct on all clients for the last unpaid invoice.

However, I suspect the problem is when a client specifies a payment for a month yet there is one or more invoices not paid prior to the one being paid. It appears the Next Due Date gets incremented to after the invoice being paid. From that point on, it appears that when an invoice is generated automatically, the due date for the invoice is a month before the date of the invoice.

My billing should be simple as I bill on the first of the month for 'all' clients. On my Automated settings, I have '0' as the # of days before the due payment date to generate invoices. My invoices are due on delivery. What could be more simple. ;)

• 1 month later...

The reason for the CSS class name "whmcscontainer" is that it is designed so that it would never conflict with anything you already have in your design. Consider these 3 points though:

Matt

Doesn't this become an issue when people type "Powered by whmcs" or WHMCS related in google and it'll popup everyone trying to hide this.

For me i'm not trying to hide that im using WHMCS, who cares, i'm paying a premium, not like i cheaped out on software, but i want to hide from those script kiddies looking to cause trouble is all. The CSS branding has me puzzled as well. Going with a generic WSline WScode would have worked to hide a little better.

Like i said, don't care who knows i do pay for no branding but if you care enough to look, good for you.