Weird symbols in place of cpanel password and security questions on databse restore

babyewok

I recently had to restore my database from a back up. All went well except that all the scurity question sI set up are now just a series of symbols, as are the answers within each client's profile and also the cpanel passwords for each client. What has caused this, how can I prevent it in the future and are the details recoverable somehow?

Oh I see - bummer. The original hash must have got lost along the way - I have deleted, upgraded, renamed....all sorts after being hacked. Probably just as well that I have a new hash anyway.

So without the original hash is there no other way to recover the data?

• 9 years later...

Some one can help me to do that: 

Hi,

It looks like you are merging two installations into one.

So, you would need the original cc_encryption_hash code in the original configuration.php file that you merged from, thats why the passwords are scrambled. Otherwise, you will need to reset all these passwords manually. Since it was not done properly, you will need to create a script to pull the hash of everyone, decrypt it, then replace it in your database. Regrettably we are not developers and unable to assist with customization here as part of product technical support.

I’d recommend posting on our Developer Corner community for further help with getting a script created for you for what you need to be done, where our friendly and knowledgeable community members and developers will I’m sure be pleased to assist in this matter: https://whmcs.community/community/41-developer-corner/

Please review the following community thread regarding a similar issue that may be helpful to you:

https://whmcs.community/topic/159965-weird-symbols-in-place-of-cpanel-password-and-security-questions-on-databse-restore/

If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Kind regards,