New site and Integration

psmith

I could stand a little feedback on my new site and the integration. Old site was template (well used) and 'tables'. This site CSS and all original.

I really value the opinions on this board, so I will the criticism very seriously.

The whole look of the site is suppose to be simple and clean, but professional enough to be taken seriously.

So, what do you think?

http://www.DesignSiteHost.com

psmith

I could stand a little feedback on my new site and the integration. Old site was template (well used) and 'tables'. This site CSS and all original.

I really value the opinions on this board, so I will the criticism very seriously.

The whole look of the site is suppose to be simple and clean, but professional enough to be taken seriously.

So, what do you think?

http://www.DesignSiteHost.com

psmith

honest opinion

cheap and tacky and looks like done in a few seconds with html by a 5 yr old kid.

anyone see for yourself

design1.jpg

design2.jpg

design3.jpg

Ok, Ok,

I seem to have made a mistake here. The images you put up are NOT how it looks here. That does surprise me !

The jogged issue is something I'll work on, but the 5 YR OLD KID comment-= Come on .

Was that really necessary?

I have alot to learn about website design, html, etc.,but I don't give up easily.

I feel that the value of your comments have been diminished by this response.

I'll just keep on learning, trying and asking. We'll see what comes of it.

I just won't be satisfied by using a 'template' that is all over the internet already !

Thanks, but no thanks.

Ok, Ok,

I seem to have made a mistake here. The images you put up are NOT how it looks here. That does surprise me !

The jogged issue is something I'll work on, but the 5 YR OLD KID comment-= Come on .

Was that really necessary?

I have alot to learn about website design, html, etc.,but I don't give up easily.

I feel that the value of your comments have been diminished by this response.

I'll just keep on learning, trying and asking. We'll see what comes of it.

I just won't be satisfied by using a 'template' that is all over the internet already !

Thanks, but no thanks.

i apologies for the 5 YR OLD KID comment but that how it looks from my end, you get some good templates from http://themeforest.net/ that will give you a good professional looking site until you can get a good unique design sorted.

i apologies for the 5 YR OLD KID comment but that how it looks from my end, you get some good templates from http://themeforest.net/ that will give you a good professional looking site until you can get a good unique design sorted.

Accepted

I completely agree with your and Alistair's suggestions. But I needed to try and do it myself.

For the record- I was trying to get some elements to float:right ( to adjust for different sized viewing ports. I'll work that out !

But, for now- I'm going to take your advice and visit 'themeforest.net' and get something up that's respectable.

Thanks for the Honest and Straight-forward advice.

PS- I sometimes wish I were a little closer to 5 yrs. old.- I'm a couple of years from retirement age !.;)

Alistair and SiteSeal-D

Alistair - I have to leave now for a 5 day camping trip over the Memorial Day weekend, but certainly appreciate your time with me and the site. I will upload some s-shots later. I believe that the Beginner mistake I made was not allowing for wider screen sizes when I positioned everything. I set my resolution higher and can see the problem on my screen now.. I will fix it next week.

SiteSeal-D

Thank you for the header image - I've been trying to get better with GIMP and see that I've got a long way to go. Very nice.

PS- I will keep trying because I truly get a lot of enjoyment out of this project. I will improve and I look forward to being able to help someone else (someday).

cheers :-)

PS- I will keep trying because I truly get a lot of enjoyment out of this project. I will improve and I look forward to being able to help someone else (someday).

I completely agree with your and Alistair's suggestions. But I needed to try and do it myself.

I commend you for this reasons.

The only negative I can see as mentioned by others is the design itself. If you look at some of your competitors and some web design galleries you'll soon be able to learn some design techniques which you could use to turn your existing design around.

Now for the positives:

- Your menu is very useable. I see allot of website's with menus that have big buttons but only the text is clickable. Your menu is clickable everywhere.

- Your code is very clean

- You're not taking the easy option and heading to Theme Forrest

Keep up the good work,

Jack

Thank you for the header image - I've been trying to get better with GIMP and see that I've got a long way to go. Very nice.

cheers :-)

I've never used GIMP myself, but i do use Photoshop cs5 as most developers and designers use these days :). Its a very powerful bit of software. But as they say the software is only as good as the operator is. You see this was just 5 mins of my time using the software. I can spend hours at a time working inside that software designing graphics for projects. So yeah enjoy your trip and thanks for the appreciation for my work ;)