Remove Portal Menu Items?

CPMiller

Disclosure: Totally and completely brand new to WHCMS; the last software I wrote was in 1986; and on good days, with help, I can spell php...

I want to make use of some features within WHCMS but not all. For example, I'm not ready to handle online ordering yet and I have less than no need for affiliates. Accordingly, I don't want those items appearing on the portal page--esp. the online ordering bit.

Is there a SIMPLE way of turning off these menu items? Simple meaning no mucking around in directories containing hundreds of files and fiddling obscure php code with less than thorough documentation, all in a clueless fog.

So far I haven't seen anything that looks remotely intuitive for non-code geeks, like: Display on Portal Page: Item 1 (On/Off), Item 2 (On/Off).

Failing something simple and intuitive, what's the painful way of doing this?

Thanks

Charles

Is there a SIMPLE way of turning off these menu items? Simple meaning no mucking around in directories containing hundreds of files and fiddling obscure php code with less than thorough documentation, all in a clueless fog.

So far I haven't seen anything that looks remotely intuitive for non-code geeks, like: Display on Portal Page: Item 1 (On/Off), Item 2 (On/Off).

Failing something simple and intuitive, what's the painful way of doing this?[

You need to edit the .tpl files and remove the links there.

http://wiki.whmcs.com/Client_Area_Template_Files

Well, to make things easier on you, most of the global elements are located within the header.tpl and footer.tpl, including the menus you are referring to.

Individual pages are associated with their corresponding template file. So for example, if you want to edit the icons present on the portal home, you will need to go in and edit the homepage.tpl.

Hope this helps!

Thanks...without you pointing me in the right direction, I'd still be sitting here sucking my thumb looking through hundreds of template files that have zero doc'n and all look like greek to the HTML/PHP-challenged. That'd be me. Much appreciated!

I envy your patience in having gone through those templates enough times that you can do what you do for a living.

Disclosure: Totally and completely brand new to WHCMS; the last software I wrote was in 1986; and on good days, with help, I can spell php...
Well my last coding was about the same time frame. I used Clipper on a DOS platform. Learning new tricks is doable.... but can be painful... lol.... welcome to the show.

-Roger

Clipper? DOS? Wow! You ARE an oldster, eh? I'd even forgotten Clipper existed. My last programming was System 370 mainframe, PL/I, Fortran, and IBM TSO CLISTS. Methinks I'm even older than you.

As for new tricks...the old dog's body just isn't as agile and twistable as the young mutts'.

Thanks...without you pointing me in the right direction, I'd still be sitting here sucking my thumb looking through hundreds of template files that have zero doc'n and all look like greek to the HTML/PHP-challenged. That'd be me. Much appreciated!

I envy your patience in having gone through those templates enough times that you can do what you do for a living.

I'm glad I could help. I've dug around in those template files so many times I could probably rewrite them off the top of my head. :)

Take care!

Clipper? DOS? Wow! You ARE an oldster, eh? I'd even forgotten Clipper existed. My last programming was System 370 mainframe, PL/I, Fortran, and IBM TSO CLISTS. Methinks I'm even older than you.

As for new tricks...the old dog's body just isn't as agile and twistable as the young mutts'.

lol.... and back then DOS did not stand for Denial of Service either... :) I've used every version of DOS and windows that was produced. I recall using Windows 1.0 on an XT Clone 4.77mhz machine with 640kb of RAM. Running from 5-1/4 floppies.

I remember when MS-DOS was not the standard. Every major computer manufacturer had it's own version of DOS. IBM-DOS, Zenith Z-DOS etc. Several used MS-DOS but their version of MS-DOS would not run on other manufacturers systems. Toshiba XT clones with 256kb of memory were a hot thing back then. You could double the memory by buying another bank of memory DRAM's and, now hold on to your hat, piggy back them onto the installed DRAM's by soldering each leg of the new chip to the corresponding leg of the original chip for grand total of 512kb of memory.

Also CPM was an alternate OS that shipped with many computers. In those days if you coded in anything you were a Wizard. If your platform was Pascal or Turbo Pascal you were looked up to if it was C (was no C++) you were revered and if your platform was Assembler you were the mad scientist.

Shareware was a viable means of distribution (McAfee was one of the first). Common languages used in shareware were Microsoft's Pro version of Basic and Borland's Turbo Pascal. Most all of the BBS'es were Basic with an assembler module to handle the serial port I/O.

Hmmm... running off at the mouth... sorry...

-Roger

There are 70 template files all of which which use the smarty system (basically html and php). So you won't need to spend hours looking through hundreds of gibberish files :)

Hmmm....unless Uncle Bill's Most Excellent Explorer can't count right, there are181 template (.tpl) files. Granted, this is all .tpl files, meaning there's overlap (e.g., multiple cart systems, default vs. portal), but still...where's the disconnect between your number and mine, which is 2-1/2x as many?

...Hmmm... running off at the mouth... sorry...

Is okay...all of us old timers share that characteristic--reliving past glories. Mostly because we're too senile and infirm to create current glories.

I started in computers in '74, didn't get into PCs until the market had "matured." Although my then wife managed one of the first PC-based "information centers" in Canada, my first box was in '86--a Compaq Portable II with a 10MB hard drive in a slot and 2x5-1/4 floppies, 640KB, math co-processor(!), and a 9" screen. I carted that 30lb+ puppy everywhere and was the envy of all my IT consultant buddies.

• WHMCS Support Manager
Hmmm....unless Uncle Bill's Most Excellent Explorer can't count right, there are181 template (.tpl) files. Granted, this is all .tpl files, meaning there's overlap (e.g., multiple cart systems, default vs. portal), but still...where's the disconnect between your number and mine, which is 2-1/2x as many?
Yup, you only need to edit the templates relating to the template you've selected. So if under Setup > General Settings you've selected the portal template you only need edit the /templates/portal files, the others can be discounted = 70.

If you want to edit the ordering process then you'd edit those too, so add 11. 81 max then :)

I started in computers in '74, didn't get into PCs until the market had "matured." Although my then wife managed one of the first PC-based "information centers" in Canada, my first box was in '86--a Compaq Portable II with a 10MB hard drive in a slot and 2x5-1/4 floppies, 640KB, math co-processor(!), and a 9" screen. I carted that 30lb+ puppy everywhere and was the envy of all my IT consultant buddies.
I was on Okinawa from 84-87. I bought my first XT clone there for $1500.00 with two 5 1/4 floppies. No hard drive. Purchased a controller and a 10mb drive brand new. Was $500.00! had to take care to mount the controller card closest to the cpu because otherwise the cards timing would be off... :) Oh and in those days. The HDD's were MFM and slow enough you could here the heads going bump.... bump.... bump. And you had to low level format the MFM drives. What ever physical orientation (horizontal or vertical) the drive was in when it was formatted. You were taking chances by mounting it the other way or even setting the computer on it's side on the floor.

My very first computer was like around '78 I think. Tandy.. (Radio Shack). Kind of blurry that far back. I remember when RLL drives hit the scene. Oh my! I was in heaven. .

Oh my God, I remember doing stuff like this!

"had to take care to mount the controller card closest to the cpu because otherwise the cards timing would be off... "

Well how about that, another one... lol. Yea...a big 10mb hard drive. Then later I bought one of the short lived RLL hard drive cards and it was 32mb!! Yes sir count'em 32 big ones. I was developing in Clipper on it. Had dBase, FrameWork, Lotus123 and it's big brother Symphony all on one drive. Holy Cow 'dem was the days....