Recurring Billable Items Question

daniel.cole

Hello,

I have a question regarding the best way to set up recurring billable items. These items are not standard products as such, but we want to bill the client on a recurring basis for ever (typically monthly).

I have tried setting this up as a billable item, but by the looks you can’t set it to 'bill forever'. Am i missing something or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Daniel

Leave the "times" field to 0 to bill indefinitely.

Thanks John - i thought thats what i had set - might need to do some more testing..

By the way, will the billable items still continue to bill if the previous invoice for that particular 'billable item' has not yet been paid?

Thanks

I added a new recurring service that is set to bill daily for testing on the 2nd just after my above post.

Noticed today that it billed the first time - but never since. I have noticed that if is click on the item under 'billable items' for that customer that the radio option is set to 'Invoice on Next Cron Run'.

I have set it back to the 'recur' option and see what it does overnight... is this expectd behaviour?

Ok, i think i have worked out what the problem is...

When i add a new billable item and set it to recur for '0' and then invoice it, teh first invoice is generated as expected. However when i go back into the billable item, the 'Invoice Action' has been set to 'Invoice on Next Cron Run'.

Unless i manually change it back to 'Recur Every....' it doesnt continue to bill. I if do manually change it back to 'Recur Every....' it then works fine...

Is this a bug in WHMCS? i wouldnt think after initally setting it to 'Recur Every...' i shouldnt have to go back into the settings for the billable items to change it BACK to 'Recur Every...'

Just had a chat with Matt regarding this. Turns out if you manually invoice the item when the billable item is added, the system removes the recurring information. However if you let it invoice in the Cron overnight, or hit 'generate due invocies' it all works to plan!

Probably a good one to update the Wiki with..

Thanks for the help Matt - much appreciated.