Question about Affiliate system

Ok, so I've got a "free trial" product setup, and of course several paid products. When a new client visits our website through an affiliate's link, I understand the affiliate will be credited with the sale if the new client buys something.

What if the client gets our free trial product? Obviously there would be no commissions earned by the affiliate since no money changed hands.... but what if the new client returns a few days later and upgrades to a paid product. Will the affiliate be credited with the upgrade purchase?

I'm assuming the answer to the above is yes, since the affiliate cookie should remain on the new clients computer for 90 days... but what if he returns a year later and purchases something else? Will the affiliate earn a commission? Will the affiliate earn a commission on anything a referred client purchases in the future?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand how this works :)

Ok, yes I know about the cookie... that's great. 90 days is fine. I'm assuming that's for people who are not yet clients.

What I'm wondering though, is if an existing client purchases after 90 days... in other words, he's already a registered client. Does that mean any time he buys something else in the future, it will get credited to the original affiliate?

In other words, is there anything in WHMCS that remembers who a client's original affiliate was?

If not, that's fine... I just want to know for sure so I can properly document it in our affiliate terms.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 years later...