Your ideal way of tracking cpu/mem usage abuse?

We are developing an module that track cpu/mem usage abuse. We are looking for inputs from potential users. Please let us know if there is a prefer way you would like to see the usages are track on the system.

Currently, the module we programmed will find all the active processes' of an user, and then a loop will go through all the processes record the %CPU and %MEM of each individual process and then we will be able to calculate the average of both resources' usage.

I PM'ed you some demos.

Personally, I like how siteground does CPU time and Script Executions, but HostGator for iNodes and Memory Use...

Hi Colin,

Could you PM me the Siteground demo, I've seen the HostGator iNodes/Mem usage but not Sitegrounds.

If you are developing something like this: http://www.whmcsgold.com/inodes_monitor

Then you have my interest as I need a plug in like that bad and I refuse to buy it from them due to lack of working modules & support with no guarantees of it working.

I current have this: http://www.whmcsgold.com/abusemeter from them (got it free ages ago) but I suspect it is not doing it's job or even working properly, like the CSF unblock module from them, apart from eating up the server resources.

Would also be good to have an automatic suspension system for going over the limits specified so accounts going over the limits don't overload the server.

-subscribed to thread-

It may not be directly related to the topic, but judging by this thread:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/limit-cpu-usage-ram-cpanel-134133-p3.html

cPanel may be implementing a resource monitoring feature in an upcoming release, so before developing a WHMCS module, it might be worth putting it off until more info is made available by cPanel.

Well, all he said was he will file a report of what it is being discussed in the thread. No real signs of actual development.

• 3 months later...

Honestly, sometimes you need to get your hands dirty. We have a set of scripts that keep archival data on usage history of customers. Periodically a system administrator reviews the data, and sends out warnings to customers via our tickets system. If the issues comes up again and they have not at least actively tried to fix it, we suspend the account.

Honestly, sometimes you need to get your hands dirty. We have a set of scripts that keep archival data on usage history of customers. Periodically a system administrator reviews the data, and sends out warnings to customers via our tickets system. If the issues comes up again and they have not at least actively tried to fix it, we suspend the account.

I do try and get my hands dirty as much as possible, and watch my server most of the day, and everything runs smooth, but as soon as I sleep, everything goes haywire, and it is extremely hard to track and act on something when you are asleep, which is why I'm after an automated script to help assist in the tracking & suspending of accounts using too many resources.

Any logs I manage to find and read, the information just goes beyond me, so sometimes I don't understand it because anything in the logs could initially trigger the problems, and I can't suspend every single site listed for "suspected heavy resource usage" because that could potentially leave me with no clients, therefore I am trying to look for something reliable that will be able to pin point the causes better, and then take action when and if necessary.

Have a look [thread=32305]here[/thread].

I'll take a look at that thanks.