OpenSRS

sohouk

I am trying to get WHMCS to talk to OpenSRS but so far have failed.

Any name that is registered at OpenSRS and in WHMCS comes up with an error as follows;

“Registrar Error

Authentication Error. For support regarding <domain>, please contact your reseller….”

Then it gives our contact details. (screen shot attached)

The WHMCS OpenSRS module only requires two items of information:

• The Username
  • OpenSRS Private Key.

The username is correct because I can log on to our account at OpenSRS

I have regenerated the private key about four or five times over the last few days and then cut and pasted it.

I know each one has been valid because I also put it in our AWBS installation which continues to work OK.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Trevor

opensrs_soho.gif

I don't think its the IP because our AWBS install is working fine and that is on the same server.

If the IP was blocked, then our AWBS wouldn't work.

And the error is very specific that its an 'Authentication error'. If the IP was blocked it wouldn't get that far.

The only two items of authentication are the username and private key - both of which I checked and checked again.

Trevor

I have just double checked and the IP is whitelisted at Open SRS.

As an experiment, I chnaged the OpenSRSR username in WHMCS and got an immediate failure. This indicates that the user name I had been using was correct. The only other item is the private key. I compared the one at OpenSRS with the one in WHMCS and they are identical.

OK, I have now found out that WHMCS does NOT work with existing OpenSRS registrations. It only works with new ones (made from within WHMCS) :roll:

Apart from Enom and Reseller Club, we have many domains with OpenSRS. We imported them all but it would seem that WHMCS can’t do anything with them out of the box.

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?p=138949

There appears to be a workaround contributed by a third party user, but I have not tried it yet.

And I can't get the work-around to work either : (

I'm not sure what to do now as I can't just abandon all our OpenSRS domains and it isn't cost effective to tranfer them to other registrars just so they will work with WHMCS.

I’m not too bothered about nameservers because they all use their own nameservers so it’s not an issue. I’m just worried that renewals and such will work.

Can you assure me that if the client goes to their domain and renews, is it certain the renewal will be processed? This is for domains imported, not for new registrations.

BTW - All our OpenSRS domains use the same User/Pass combination. Isn't there a workaround for that?

Trevor

Yes, renewals will be processed.

Can you clarify that any NEW registrations made within WHMCS will be able to deal with editing of nameservers , contacts etc , but that any IMPORTED names will only be able to renew.

If this is the case, then I have to assume that with NEW registrations WHMCS stores the individual OpenSRS user/pass somewhere in order to be able to manipulate OpenSRS.

Following on from that, is it not simply possible to import those user / pass details for IMPORTED domains from an external source (like a MySql table on our server)?

Trevor

• WHMCS Support Manager
Can you clarify that any NEW registrations made within WHMCS will be able to deal with editing of nameservers , contacts etc , but that any IMPORTED names will only be able to renew.

Correct.

There is a mod, but we can't support it or vouch for its reliability: http://www.whmcs.com/members/communityaddons.php?action=viewmod&id=24

I think what I was getting at was if the facility is there for new names, then the user/pass combo must be stored somewhere.

As we have these user/passes for all our OpenSRS domains, I am certain we could simply import them into the db if we knew where to put them.

Trevor

BTW - I could not get the utility you mentioned to work. I just get a blank screen and despite following the thread I couldn’t kick it into life.

however your client's won't be able to change whois details, nameservers etc. This is due to the unique password OpenSRS assign to each domain name.

John,

Can you clarify this please?

Are you refering to the OpenSRS login that is sent to the user to manage their domain ? whmcs uses this to modify the clients whois and nameservers ?

thx

• 2 months later...

I left this thread a while ago to follow up on other matters, but now want to close this discussion with a definitive answer.

You will recall that new SRS registrations would work in all respect for clients from their CP, but that imported SRS ones would not.

This was due to the User/Pass combo not being imported into WHMCS.

The question I posed was that if we already know the usernames and passwords for the imported domain, is there a place in the table we can put them either manually or via a Sql import?

Trevor

• WHMCS Support Manager

The password isn't stored anywhere by WHMCS, it's generated automatically each time it's needed. You would need to change the password in OpenSRS to match the dynamically generated password used by WHMCS:

The username is the first 8 characters of the domain without any punctuation. So for example whmcsdomains.com would be whmcsdom

The Password is the first 10 characters of the md5 of the domain id in the database, so if the id was 1 the password would be c4ca4238a0

OK, I think I have this now.

As I understand it, what you are saying is that we have to change the entire Opens SRS user / passwords to match the ones that would have been generated by WHMCS if the domain was ‘new’ (didn’t already have an entry at OpenSRS).

Those user / pass combo’s are based on the formula you stated, namely:

The username is the first 8 characters of the domain without any punctuation.

The Password is the first 10 characters of the md5 of the domain id in the database.

Are these user / pass details (when generated) stored in the WHMCS database anywhere, or are they simply regenerated as needed?

regards,

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

The username is the first 8 characters of the domain without any punctuation. So for example whmcsdomains.com would be whmcsdom

The Password is the first 10 characters of the md5 of the domain id in the database, so if the id was 1 the password would be c4ca4238a0

That's trivial to brute force!

I do think this is something WHMCS should be addressing.

Quite why it stores others usernames and passwords, but chooses to generate OpenSRS ones every time is a mystery. Some of our SRS domains are four characters so are not catered for at all.

WHMCS fails to work with any existing (imported) Open SRS names.

We have a few clients with many, many names at OpenSRS. These are all grouped under one account for each client so we can log in and make any awkward changes there (like bulk alterations / updates).

The WHM system does not allow that as each OpenSRS domain name has a separate username / password which is a severe limitation.

A simple two-field addition to the domain record is all that is required. Just to record the username and password with a checkbox to indicate whether those or a generated credential should be used when communicating with OpenSRS

I know there is a non-supported workaround, but I have not managed to get it to work at all : (

Trevor

• 5 months later...

This username/password scheme doesn't appear to work for me:

To clarify, I moved 30-40 domains over to OpenSRS from GoDaddy thinking that WHMCS would pick them up. No dice, of course. When I read this, I tested one by going to:

https://manage.opensrs.net

Changed the ownership to username/pass specified above, but it just returns authentication errors.

My IP address should be whitelisted.

Are there any logs or further details to investigate?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Best,

WS

The whole Open SRS thing is a mess and quite why WHMCS do not address it I don't know.

They should make it as clear as possible that anyone importing names from another system into WHMCS will have trouble and it will not wor without a lot of manual effort..

The third party workarounds a a small welcome solution, but it should not have been necessary for others to develop something that it could be assumed would be incorporated into the core OpenSRS module.

In resepct of your problem you need to use the Open SRS addon which will generate the correct credentials - though on some of ours it doesn't seem to work for some reason.

These may help:

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=21030 though you do need to read the whole thread as there are quite a few changes along the way! The final product is here:

http://forum.whmcs.com/showpost.php?p=158962&postcount=28

The other one which works for me is the login converter.

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=15401

Trevor

Now that is useful. I wonder why that was kept so quiet? :|

I created a sample entry and it appears to work.

I'm not sure what features it offers as I haven't tried and changes, but it would appear there is finally a resolution to solve theOpen SRS problem.

How was this announced / where did you find out about this? Is there any documentation?

Trevor