Custom Invoice Number Format

Matt

• WHMCS CEO

WHMCS already has the ability to assign a custom invoice number format to paid invoices using the "Sequential Paid Invoice Numbering" feature under General Settings > Invoicing (primarily used for Proforma invoicing). However, some users have asked about how they can assign a custom invoice number format as soon as an invoice generates. We'll here's how:

1. Begin by creating a file in the /includes/hooks/ folder called custominvoicenumberformat.php

2. Add the following code to the file:

<?php
function hook_custominvoicenumberformat($vars) {
   $invoiceid = $vars['invoiceid'];
   $customnumber = date("Y")."-".$invoiceid;
   update_query("tblinvoices",array("invoicenum"=>$customnumber),array("id"=>$invoiceid));
}
add_hook("InvoiceCreationPreEmail",1,"hook_custominvoicenumberformat");
?>

3. In this example the invoice number is set to the current year as a prefix, folled by the ID number. You can customise the $customnumber line to your desired format.

And it's as simple as that. From that point forward, any invoices generated by the cron will be assigned your custom invoice number format.

Hope that helps!

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've changed a little invoice numbering to invoiceid/year. Now when customer is downloading his invoice it gets filename only for a year (2010.pdf). Where I can change it to something like invoicenumber-2010.pdf?

Is there a way to start numbering invoices every year from the beggining?

Thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have created the custominvoicenumberformat.php file and the pdf invoices haven't changed yet. They only show the invoice number, but not the date or anything else. I have created new invoices, paid them, etc and the pdf file doesn't change. How is this supposed to work, or when is it supposed to work?

Thank you