Canada / Automatic Recurring Billing / Gateways / WorldPay

chewy

Hi guys,

I have been pulling my hair out the last few weeks researching, reading, trying to find the right payment processor for our business. We have paypal, and recently signed up for 2checkout, which now proves to be a mistake.

WorldPay FuturePay seems to be what we need, but for some reason their site doesn't let me sign up and Canada has been eliminated from their list of supported countries! I'm not even allowed to go to the US site, seems like my IP is blocked or something.

Anyway, we need automatic recurring billing that connects to our prorata date in WHMCS, we can't store the credit card numbers as we do not want to go through any PCI compliance. We're in Canada. We want a seemless solution that will NOT require clients to sign up for an account like Paypal or Moneybookers etc. is there anything out there for us? Considering there's so many merchant account and gateway providers, i'm surprised at how difficult this has been.

Also, are these guys at all affiliated with WorldPay? http://www.merchant-accounts.ca/

I found a forum post on google saying they're the Canadian WorldPay, but that seems hard to believe.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I have been pulling my hair out the last few weeks researching, reading, trying to find the right payment processor for our business. We have paypal, and recently signed up for 2checkout, which now proves to be a mistake.

WorldPay FuturePay seems to be what we need, but for some reason their site doesn't let me sign up and Canada has been eliminated from their list of supported countries! I'm not even allowed to go to the US site, seems like my IP is blocked or something.

Anyway, we need automatic recurring billing that connects to our prorata date in WHMCS, we can't store the credit card numbers as we do not want to go through any PCI compliance. We're in Canada. We want a seemless solution that will NOT require clients to sign up for an account like Paypal or Moneybookers etc. is there anything out there for us? Considering there's so many merchant account and gateway providers, i'm surprised at how difficult this has been.

Also, are these guys at all affiliated with WorldPay? http://www.merchant-accounts.ca/

I found a forum post on google saying they're the Canadian WorldPay, but that seems hard to believe.

Hi Chewy,

I feel your pain bro! I just made the exact same mistake and signed up with 2CO !

I am also in Canada and wanting to have automatic recurring billing with possible option of prorata date in WHMCS.

I also want a seemless solution even if it means paying a small monthly fee.

Can anynone recommend which Payment module works best without hassles in CDN funds.

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

1)Victim was receiving an email on 22th Jan 2010 about disputed of transaction RM990 which had been ordered on 14th Jan 2010 and when i called to worldpay, worldpay staff asked him to contact the card holder to discuss about the disputed reason. Then victim was calling him and he told victim that his wallet was stolen and he promised to contact the bank. Here, victim would like to know why worldpay staff didn't tell us the actual direction and misleading us at that moment?

2) Victim thought rbs worldpay is the online payment gateway which do basic verification such as compare the card holder name to the card number ID, etc. But when there is issue happen, then worldpay just tell him that it is "only a payment service provider to capture shopper data and refer it on in a secure environment electronically in order to facilitate a transaction on your behalf." It sounds very forgiving but actually they had screwed up their system. They didn't verify well and send merchant the false green light to ship out the goods and now worldpay are trying to avoid the responsibility. Is this worldpay strategy as a payment service provider?

3) Worldpay had made your name and reputation no longer trusted . The reason is because everyone in the world know that Worldpay can do online payment . But now, everyone will be afraid because we do not know when the payment will be going to chargeback after worldpay send us the RBS WorldPay CARD transaction confirmation. Now we all know that what is written in this RBS worldpay CARD transaction confirmation email is not correct and this confirmation email does not really confirmed. So what is their function of the "confirmation" email ? Worldpay are basically misleading their merchant and put their merchant to the risky situation.

4) Victim was calling worldpay on 28th Jan about the confusing of the 2 disputed transaction and their staff then told him that RBS worldpay cannot read the card holder information. So now everyone understand what is the reason Worldpay can't verify and can't detect those issue.

5) After talking to Worldpay staff on 3rd Feb 2010, their staff proposed victim to ship goods two days after receive order and "RBS WorldPay CARD transaction confirmation". By looking at the record, Wordpay sent victim the disputed message on 22th Jan for the order on 14th Jan, and sent confirmed fraud transaction report on 29th Jan when after victim kept calling tend to find out the confusing transaction on 28th Jan. Do you think RBS Worldpay is effective and efficient ?

6)RBS Worldpay claimed that they are actually not going to authorize transaction and avoid all the responsibility. Well, If RBS worldpay does not authorise transactions, then please put this at the main page of Worldpay . It will let our merchant to decide whether we need to use a merely service provider but not protecting merchant online payment gateway.

7) Some transactions have been settled but Worldpay wanted to freeze all victim’s transfer. Can Worldpay let everybody know whether is it their right to change the commitment to merchant by transferring the rest transaction after 23 days? Worldpay didn’t mention clearly when they will finish the investigation and when the victim can get their payment?

8)We as merchant do our own job to make sure we deliver to the recipient with according to the delivery details. We do not have the visibility to detect which card is true and which is fraud. We just ship when receive Worldpay Card transaction confirmation. All these are depending Worldpay - a World Online Payment Service Provider , and worldpay must do their own job instead of relying a non technical customer to handle this.

9)Victim was calling Worldway customer service on 28th Jan and after victim’s further questioning then Worldpay staff just found out there were transaction which has same credit card number but different name and address has made order from victim’s website. Everyone need to understand how reliable is RBS worldpay payment security wall and how sensitive they can detect? We definitely cannot see the credit card number in case we every time call to worldpay and spend at least 10 mins on the verification and sync up. If in this case, will Worldpay send us customer Credit card number everytime if they need merchant to verify further?

10)The fact is already existed. Worldpay mentioned they have caution and warning message to advice customer to take verification which is right thing to do. However, based on victim’s past two years finding, most the warning and caution have been gone through successfully. If you give merchant the warning and caution message, does Worldpay provide any methods/guideline for merchant to further checking and the guideline can protect merchant eventually from being chargeback.? We have discuss with Worldpay Staff, they actually do not have any effective guide for our merchant.

Linking with Worldpay might be easier as they are marketing to worldwide. But can you imagine if there are issue happen to your account, can you get their support due to their limited resource?

You can find a lot of effective payment gateway in your country and why use the one who only pay you after 1 month??

Good luck to those who are using Worldpay and tend to use Worldpay.

Hi Chewy,

I feel your pain bro! I just made the exact same mistake and signed up with 2CO !

I am also in Canada and wanting to have automatic recurring billing with possible option of prorata date in WHMCS.

I also want a seemless solution even if it means paying a small monthly fee.

Can anynone recommend which Payment module works best without hassles in CDN funds.

thanks!

And you're basically out of luck for recurring credit card payments in Canada... The closet I got was wtih PaypalPro (used to be called payflo) which supports cc transactions without paypal accounts BUT for Canada merchants whmcs doesn't store the required CCV to complete the recurring billing

This is supposed to change - according to paypal merchant support - but hasn't yet.

Hey guys, I was in the same boat. I went with InternetSecure (100% Canadian, out of Oakville, ON.)

They have USD and CAD Gateways and it does recurring billing. It's a pretty straightforward application process too. They have a great API that is already a built-in module with WHMCS and they also offer INTERAC online.

However, storing a CVV code in Canada is a rather impossible task. InternetSecure has a system that stores it on their end and it's used that way.

http://www.internetsecure.com

Just my two cents, from a fellow canuck!

Hey guys, I was in the same boat. I went with InternetSecure (100% Canadian, out of Oakville, ON.)

They have USD and CAD Gateways and it does recurring billing. It's a pretty straightforward application process too. They have a great API that is already a built-in module with WHMCS and they also offer INTERAC online.

However, storing a CVV code in Canada is a rather impossible task. InternetSecure has a system that stores it on their end and it's used that way.

Does Interac work with the current internet secure module in whmcs ?

• 3 weeks later...

You are never allowed to store a CVV code... that would be illegal. This applies to any merchant gateway dealing with Mastercard, Visa, Amex or Discover. IS never stores the CVV either. I guess you meant something else.

However, you don't need the CVV to do recurring billing... IS and WHMCS work great without it. You should NOT use the IS built-in Recurring Billing system, as WHMCS has its own way of doing recurring transactions. So if your IS module doesn't seem to store credit cards on WHMCS and work with recurring billing, then you can contact WHMCS support to have it enabled (I had to). IS allows storing credit cards on your WHMCS as long as you obtain prior approval from them (i.e. give them a PCI compliance certificate). Some recurring billing transactions may still fail though, as if the Address/Zip don't match exactly with the client's credit card issuer and there is necessarily no CVV stored, then their credit card issuer may decline it.

The only downside with IS currently is that 3D secure isn't integrated with WHMCS. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Edited by Excel

• 2 months later...

just wanted to give a nod to psigate.com (based in ottawa i think) also a canadian processor and from my past experience cheaper than IS. I just do the recurring billing frmo within whmcs though, not on the payment processors end.

JM

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we just moved from Worldpay to psigate. If anyone in canada wants to sign up with PSIgate let me know. We are a reseller now and might be able to get a decent deal.

They have been bugging me for years and years and after the last 4 monhts with worldpay it was obvious worldpay does not want to do business with Canada - (story for anther day - 5 years with Worldpay with maybe 5 chargebacks)

Chasem, to answer your question - YES because the card is stored in whmcs and then applies it each month to what ever amount is invoiced etc

• 1 month later...
just wanted to give a nod to psigate.com (based in ottawa i think) also a canadian processor and from my past experience cheaper than IS. I just do the recurring billing frmo within whmcs though, not on the payment processors end.

JM

Hey John

Can you explain a bit about how you do that? I'm a newbie and am a bit fed up with PayPal and would like to be able to provide true automated recurring billing for my clients.

Thanks for any light you can shed on your process using PSIgate.

Marilla

• 2 weeks later...

Just some additional payment gateway info to think on....

Authorized is losing their place in reliable and secure PCI compliance and through two of the worlds largest processors out there. They are not being allowed to renew their agreements with those same big processors.

Beanstream, Canada's largest payment gateway and processor is leading the pack and covers all reoccurring billing and more. I have listed some of their facts below.

Gateway Payment Module Benefits:

- Avoid re-directs.

- All client transactions are on your website.

- Supports reoccurring transactions.

- Lower online credit card processing risks.

- Full error checking while in use with WHMCS software.

- All transactions are logged into the WHMCS gateway logs for debugging data results and payment transaction identification.

Beanstream Features:

- Canadian and US Dollar processing.

- English and French support.

- Merchant account and gateway services provided.

Gateway Payment Types Supported:

- VISA

- MASTERCARD

- AMERICAN EXPRESS

- DINERS CLUB

- DISCOVER

- SEARS

- JBC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
You are never allowed to store a CVV code... that would be illegal. This applies to any merchant gateway dealing with Mastercard, Visa, Amex or Discover. IS never stores the CVV either. I guess you meant something else.

However, you don't need the CVV to do recurring billing... IS and WHMCS work great without it. You should NOT use the IS built-in Recurring Billing system, as WHMCS has its own way of doing recurring transactions. So if your IS module doesn't seem to store credit cards on WHMCS and work with recurring billing, then you can contact WHMCS support to have it enabled (I had to). IS allows storing credit cards on your WHMCS as long as you obtain prior approval from them (i.e. give them a PCI compliance certificate). Some recurring billing transactions may still fail though, as if the Address/Zip don't match exactly with the client's credit card issuer and there is necessarily no CVV stored, then their credit card issuer may decline it.

The only downside with IS currently is that 3D secure isn't integrated with WHMCS. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

So the only way recurring billing works with ISecure is by storing the CC data on the server?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a fellow Canadian that's new to WHMCS. I have been looking into Beanstream as well... is this easily integrated/seamless in WHMCS? I am looking for recurring payments for multiple hosting plans.

Price and reviews of Beanstream make it look promising... just want to verify that it will shake hands nicely with WHMCS.

Comments?

I'm a fellow Canadian that's new to WHMCS. I have been looking into Beanstream as well... is this easily integrated/seamless in WHMCS? I am looking for recurring payments for multiple hosting plans.

Price and reviews of Beanstream make it look promising... just want to verify that it will shake hands nicely with WHMCS.

Comments?

We use beanstream, but had to purchase a whmcs module for it. Works well, I had an issue with the module as my dedicated ip and the ip the cron script ran from we're different, but solved that and have been good to go.

Only thing with beanstream is that they use TD for your merchant accounts in Canada, and TD will not give an account to a business with more than 20% of their transactions being for web hosting. They consider web hosting high risk. We were lucky as our other services make up most of our cc transactions.

Andrew

We use beanstream, but had to purchase a whmcs module for it. Works well, I had an issue with the module as my dedicated ip and the ip the cron script ran from we're different, but solved that and have been good to go.

Only thing with beanstream is that they use TD for your merchant accounts in Canada, and TD will not give an account to a business with more than 20% of their transactions being for web hosting. They consider web hosting high risk. We were lucky as our other services make up most of our cc transactions.

Andrew

Agreed. This is why we ended up going with InternetSecure after ditching the god awful WorldPay.