IP Manager admin mod

quel

Hi

I have created a new IP Manager. I needed some way to track which IPs where assigned to whom accross servers so that when the user cancelled I would be able to re-use them. So I did start from scratch and here is the result. If someone finds it useful, feel free to post here. I would love to know it is worth to somebody!

Download Ip Manager

Install: Just uncompress and upload in whmcs/modules/admin/ip_manager. Go to the WHMCS admin area and click on Utilities, Addon-Modules. You should see the new module. Just click and it will auto-create the database table to hold the IPs information

/whmcs/modules/admin

Quel

Dont like it make your own :-), it was only made in the 1st place for his needs, he decided to share it for anyone else who maybe intrested or have the same needs for this as he does

I do make and share my own. I also package it as source so other can see

1. Where it came from, if it was modified, etc

2. Have the ability to customise it to their environment.

(and sometimes leave passwords, oops and thanks admins ;) )

I completely understand WHMCS has a business to run, but encoding contributions is just an insult. It's like offering me a suit that can never be tailored and wondering why a 58" chest 280lbs guy like me looks at you silly.

The point, that I can see, is this is all modular and customisable. Do you really think your the first person to have any idea and the only person to ever code?

It's still encoded crap, and the author hasn't even bothered to answer questions. What happens when it's exploited or has a bug? Like he's going to give 2 cents about supporting you for free. I call it as I see it. I'm sorry if that is too honest for you.

If this is really free for all to use there is NO reason to encode it. Well, I can think of one. If I wanted to trojan your billing software I would write a kick ass module, add my back door, and encode it so you wouldn't ever know. I would bet $5 there is at the least one in this forum right now.

Welcome to the real world.

rsanders

Use it at your own will. It is worm free, but obviously you can believe it or simply not use it. However, I would appreciate that you do not bash the script or the coder (that is, me) just because I decided to encode it.

I plan to issue more modules, this one is just free because it is simple and of low interest. Take it as a test, but all of them will be encrypted and some paid.

Regards

Quel

It tracks IP usage automatically? Any screenshots?

No, it does not track usage automatically, but it could be a good thing to add. I guess that you suggest that when one IP is ordered, the package marks it as 'in use'. Right? But I do wonder how one ip is or could be ordered.

If you have any ideas, feel free to contact me. It can be a nice addition

Regards

Quel

<vent>

Oh good grief .... I am so tired of wading thru the personal bashing and the merits of encoding or no encoding. Reminds me of the original php-nuke days.

Matt, Bear and others... the forums used to be a place where people shared ideas and encouraged/helped one another. What ever happened to that attitude and mind set? I know at least one most excellent author doesn't hang around here or contribute very much anymore because of the foolishness.

If I was an author (and I haven't been for many, many years). How I made my work available to the public. Well that would be my choice. If you bashed me because I decided to encode. I'd have to make sure that you never got a copy of my work at any price. I don't bash you because you drive a red car instead of a blue one. It's like the grocery store. You buy or you don't. And when the stores having a giveaway... when did you last complain about the bag it came in??

Again Matt, Bear and others... Can something be done about this.... ??

</vent>

Hi Roger.

<vent>

Oh good grief .... I am so tired of wading thru the personal bashing and the merits of encoding or no encoding. Reminds me of the original php-nuke days.

Matt, Bear and others... the forums used to be a place where people shared ideas and encouraged/helped one another. What ever happened to that attitude and mind set? I know at least one most excellent author doesn't hang around here or contribute very much anymore because of the foolishness.

If I was an author (and I haven't been for many, many years). How I made my work available to the public. Well that would be my choice. If you bashed me because I decided to encode. I'd have to make sure that you never got a copy of my work at any price. I don't bash you because you drive a red car instead of a blue one. It's like the grocery store. You buy or you don't. And when the stores having a giveaway... when did you last complain about the bag it came in??

Again Matt, Bear and others... Can something be done about this.... ??

</vent>

Not again! More vigilante "mod devs against the world" ranting.

Asking for protective forum policing in favour of mod developers is a dangerous route to take and I sincerely hope that never happens.

There is a world of difference between constructive feedback regarding details or price and the kind of bashing you refer to. Since anyone recently who dares to make any kind of comment that isn't abject adulation is immediately torn to shreds and pounced upon, it doesn't suggest that enshrining such acts of abuse in formal Policy anti-measures is in any way a good move. I call it Fascism of the worst kind.

People have every right to object to things they disagree with and to express that in a constructive manner. Indeed you are exercising your own right to complain when they do. Let's hope it always stays that way.

Ironically, had you not written your request to Matt, I would not have felt the need to write this in response. And so it goes on.

It is just as valid for those who wish to retain the right to comment constructively to ask Matt for protection from the bashing they get if they so much as sneeze out of time to your beat. In fact, such requests from either faction are absurd.

If anyone's posts should be removed, it is those inflammatory ones such as yours whose only message is to rant at anyone who has a constructive point to make. It is only those posts that cause trouble.

Let mod developers fight their own battles with their own audience once they have courted public attention. Expecting anyone not to have concerns about the ever controversial issue of encryption is just naive, wishful thinking at best yet is becoming an incessant and boring nuisance at worst. The issue will not go away, despite all the bullying.

Edited by redrat

I agree with rsanders about the encoding of third party mods. My self, I would never buy or use any third party encrypted files on my servers - it is sad, because there is so many of them I would want to buy and use.

It is important that we who don't want to use encoded third party mods say so here, if we where silent, nobody would know how many we are! But I think most of us are silent, because everybody get angry when we complain about it.

Edited by ditto

@redat .. Hello Didn't mean to sound like a vigilante. Not my intent. But did mean to voice my displeasure over having to wade thru what seems to be constant bickering between developers and users. Then again. just my opinion and my venting.

I agree with rsanders about the encoding of third party mods. My self, I would never buy or use any third party encrypted files on my servers - it is sad, because there is so many of them I would want to buy and use.

It is important that we who don't want to use encoded third party mods say so here, if we where silent, nobody would know how many we are! But I think most of us are silent, because everybody get angry when we complain about it.

So are you saying that coders and developers should spend all their own personal time developing the perfect solution to make your business a success and then they still need to give you the full source code as well?

While this is a good practice in many Open Source projects, it's not fair to expect others to become slaves of your success. If a coder encodes his project, that's his choice. and if he charges it (probably cause that may be the only income he has, or even to pay his developer's salaries), that's also his choice. But I don't think it's fair to expect them to leave the code open, for you to steal, and redistribute freely as you see fit, without them being credited for their hard work.

And why do you trust Matt's (or WHMCS's) work which is also encoded, but not others?