Send Password Via Email

joker2040

In the "Client Area Details Reminder" email template is sends the password in plain text via

{$client_password}

However when I try to make a custom template and use the same password code when the email arrives all the password shows is ******** Any ideas?

I assume you're running WHMCS v4.x.x.

This is by design. The password is encrypted in such a way that it cannot be unencrypted. So when you use the variable in your email templates, you'll just get *****. However, when the Reminder link is clicked, WHMCS actually generates a new password and emails it to the client, encrypting it before storing it in the database.

This was introduced in WHMCS v4.0. v3.x used a decryptable encryption to store passwords. v4.1 is supposed to bring the option back to use a decryptable encryption.

This is by design. The password is encrypted in such a way that it cannot be unencrypted. So when you use the variable in your email templates, you'll just get *****. However, when the Reminder link is clicked, WHMCS actually generates a new password and emails it to the client, encrypting it before storing it in the database.

This was introduced in WHMCS v4.0. v3.x used a decryptable encryption to store passwords. v4.1 is supposed to bring the option back to use a decryptable encryption.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well if this is the case, why not make it so we have the option of it reseting the password and sending it.

My scenario - I'm just starting to use this and I'm creating new accounts for my existing customers, I've created a special email template for my existing customers and I'd love to have a new password in the welcome email and I don't want to alter the existing reset email template.

• 2 years later...