Best US provider of Dedicated Servers?

imaginit

Since we have a best of the UK I am curious to see who people use to provide their dedicated servers in the US.

Particularly does anyone have any experience with The Planet and if so can you shed any light on your experiences?

If you don't use The Planet, then let us know who you do and why you like/dislike them.

The planet is awesome. I have never had any problems with them. What I really liked when looking is that hey invited me to come and tour the facility and talk with some of the staff that would be working on my account. Wouldn't go with anyone else.

I have experience with both EV1 and ThePlanet and can state that they have pretty decent networks. Tech Support at ev1 isnt that great, but ThePlanet is very good for what they do. I left both of them though because I wanted tech support that was a little more hands on, without having to pay out the @ss for it. I switched to LiquidWeb and have been very happy with them over the past few months since I made the switch. There server prices are very good and have had very little issues with there network. Been at 100% uptime the past few months at the least.

I did experience a decent amount of network outages with ThePlanet versus EV1 the past 2 years or so. As in a couple a year. Which to me, is to much. EV1 had maybe 1 a year.

I was with ThePlanet for 4 years and 5 years with EV1.

ThePlanet has a few more options as far as different services they offer versus LW, but I think I can safely say that I recommend LW.

If your needing even more hands on tech support and a higher end network, then I recommend RackSpace. Unfortunately their bandwidth prices were a little more than what i wanted to pay. Basically if you have 1 server, you get 1000gb of bandwidth, but even up to 10 servers, you still only get that 1000gb of total bandwidth. Its around $2 per GB after that.

NOTE: i do know that ev1 and ThePlanet are the same now and hopefully ev1's tech support doesnt bring down ThePlanets support.

Softlayer.

Great (and friendly) support. They've never tried screwing with my billing even though sometimes I've made quite a few changes to a single server within a few days. If you need them to do any admin work, they'll handle it for $3 an instance.

Oh, and it's never taken longer than 4 hours to get a server online from them.

Prices are good too.

• 2 months later...

I agree I have two servers at Softlayer and they are great. 100% Softlayer is the best. I've paid $3.00 serveral time to fix problem that I couldn't handle and they took care of it in no time.

Most of the people that were at The Planet started Softlayer or something like that but if you read in webhostingtalk.com alot of people are staying away from TP

We have plenty of servers are dedicatednow and things have been okay so far. From what I hear they are working on improving many things in the very near future. I have also heard great things from friends who do use Softlayer.

EV1/ThePlanet I would stay away from them at this point.

I've got two servers at Gnax.com / transactglobal.com and have been happy with them. The network is reliable, has (I think) about one outage a year or less, and prices seem reasonable. The bandwidth is 2000Gb a server which seems reasonable.

I've been with them two years, which means I have a fair bit of experience with them. Have had reboots in 15 minutes.

As someone who has been with EV1 six years and TP 3 years I can say they have both gone from what I would consider higher class server providers to the dumps.

They both still have rock solid networks and have proven themselves over the years, the support however is junk now. No sales support as all on weekends and what support to do get is subpar usually missing or not correctly reading what you post in a ticket.

I would say the saddest thing is EV1 (Rackshack) used to really tweak things to keep the customer happy and was always listening to what the customer had to say. Seems with the new management (to be honest even before the new management) does not care about what customers want or need and simply look at profit margin and nothing else.

I will be moving my servers from them when I find someone suitable hopefully over the summer.

I also have a few customer dedicated boxes at layeredtech, they seem stable. Only been with them a year or so but overall network seems good, support is so-so and the only thing I would have to say is they seem a bit disorganized with some things, but my customer wanted a cheap dedicated box and for $79/mo it was the best I could find them on a fairly reliable datacenter.

I am probably going to put a small production box on softlayer soon and test them out for a while, seem to be getting great reviews.

The problem with the question "who provides the best servers" is it's unanswerable as it is. The different companies compete in different areas, each has specialties and advantages.

Some of the factors are:

1. price (both startup/setup price plus ongoing monthly)
  2. reliability of servers
  3. good service - quality, reasonable turnaround, efficient
  4. emergency response - good, knowledgeable help fast in an emergency
  5. remote access - to power cycle, console; can remove need for most support
  6. quality of network - speed, reliability (up/down), bandwidth out, ping times
  7. number of servers - some providers are better if you have larger server numbers with them
  8. whether you're colocating or leasing a server (most lease until they're big enough)
  9. type of support available - do you need server management or extra hand holding in the early days? Do you need the ability to ask a lot of questions?

What's hard is to find a great combination of the above in one company!

brianoz brings up a very good point. We have been hosting for years, and have found that we have received better support from small companies providing services out of particular datacenters. Right now we deal with a company that offers us the possibility to host out of 80 broad, nyc, bush terminals, nyc, clifton, nj, as well as chicago, london and zurich. They don't run the DC but they have all the key ingredients that we needed, including their own caged space or cabinets and hardware, and the many factors covered in brian's list above.

Big doesn't always mean good, but every single DC mentioned here is definitely not bad at all, even TP/EV1, and Fortress (despite their strange outages).