Layered Technologies PRO/CONS?

webresellers

Yup, they've been good to us as well. Good network and equipment.

Only down side I've seen is that they give very short notice when shutting down a server for complaints like phishing sites. It's obviously important to kill these accounts quickly, and we cooperate, but you have to make sure you monitor the email on file very regularly and at all hours. Typically you get 6 hours notice.

Hey,

I have a lot of servers with LT and a big reseller account with them (lots of discounts). What I like the most is, that I can show RTG graphs on my website with out linking back to their site at all. I also like the fact that I can have a reboot script, reboot my server incase its down or what not.

The only downside I had with them was building two servers with them. One of my clients ordered a graphics card on a server and they seem to have "ran out of stock" and put in the wrong video card and then had to wait another few days to get the right video card in for the server. The server needed a video card as it was gaming server, and the software wouldn't install on the default video card in the server. That took around one week to get up and running. But other servers I had built with in 48 hours...

From,

Adam

I ordered a server with Virtuozzo licenses 3 days ago. I called them today, and they told me it could be another 24-48hrs due to the extra steps to license Virtuozzo and whatever else.

I have gotten alot of positive feedback on LayeredTech thus far. The only negative feedback is, apparently they are quick to pull your server if you server is reported as sending spam or a phishing site is found on your server. This just sounds like lack of admininistration skills to me on the part of the owner/leasee of the server.

I ordered a server with Virtuozzo licenses 3 days ago. I called them today, and they told me it could be another 24-48hrs due to the extra steps to license Virtuozzo and whatever else.

I have gotten alot of positive feedback on LayeredTech thus far. The only negative feedback is, apparently they are quick to pull your server if you server is reported as sending spam or a phishing site is found on your server. This just sounds like lack of admininistration skills to me on the part of the owner/leasee of the server.

they are trying to improve their abuse department

http://layer0.layeredtech.com/showthread.php?t=4878

http://layer0.layeredtech.com/showthread.php?t=2211

if your looking for a great vps, try servint.net, tell you "traceweb" sent you. (my id over there- yes we do get credit for sending you over there- one free month)

I have been there for 2 years,with absolutely NO complaints, top that... their forums are full of pros with answers and their noc is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure i don't like them to much.. To pricy for me im good with my DC place now they are very fast, very good.. Treated me like royalty.. If i cant make a payment they help me out and not shut my stuff down for any reason before talking it out with me!

Just wanted to give a quick update... The 1st server I ordered with layered tech had issues, and they ended up replacing the hardware, for free and crediting me back the aditional build time. Now that I have the new server, everything has been awesome. VERY fast hardware and amazingly fast network connection. I migration from servers all over the country to layered tech was very smooth, and my customers didn't having issues and have all comented on how fast their sites are. I would highly recommend layered tech and will continue to order more servers from them for my hosting/server needs.

We haven't had such hot luck with LayeredTech.

The service is fine but they have huge internal communications issues. Their billing is a joke.

The phone support is okay, but I've spent about 6 hours talking to them and its really tedious. My blood pressure shoots up every time I have to interact with LayeredTech. We planned on moving a number of servers over but stopped after one with all the problems we've had.

I'd recommend Interserver, personally. We've got a bunch of servers there and they're great.

I have to agree with datahosts.... I have not had any problems, and have recently ordered 3 more servers from LT. Got them in less then 24hrs. And the few times I have contacted their support dept. for very minor things (requesting information and stuff) they have responded to my requestes very fast with good information. I am glad to have found them. My profit margin automatically moved up 30% just by moving from my old provider to them. Their hardware is very good (all HP Proliant) and their network is blazing fast. You really need cpanel/linux knowledge to manage your own server. If you can, the rewards are more profit.

• 3 weeks later...

I also think that their support it's ok, a little slow for reboots, and their abuse department it's very RUDE. Also the remote reboot it's a must to have now a days, perhaps I move to another provider in the future to have this.

about the remote script someone tells, what it's? if the server it's 100% of load the script don't work sure?

about the remote script someone tells, what it's? if the server it's 100% of load the script don't work sure?

If the server load is at 100, most of the time you can't even login to SSH. You will be just timed out. So the remote reboot scripts should work.

However, better yet - why does your server even go into those high numbers? If its a common thing, your should really think about moving clients to a different server or getting a new one...

From,

Adam

Layeredtech is probably the last organization i would go with ever again - they sold me a server including cpanel installation - after not installing cpanel on the server properly they just said that they had no control over this even though i paid them to install it on there. Billing & Technical support aren't hot at all, they are good for larger business's but in my opinion dont care about the 1 man server clients. I went through hell with them and it would definitely be the last organization i ever rented a server off named layeredtech.

Technical support aren't hot at all, they are good for larger business's but in my opinion dont care about the 1 man server clients. I went through hell with them and it would definitely be the last organization i ever rented a server off named layeredtech.

LT is a self managed server company...if you are a 1 man server and not fully familiar with the server setup then you need to go with a full support company.

Cpanel is not the hardest thing to install, and if installing it was the big issue then I would say you needed to have a full support company. Yes, LT should install CPanel for you, but things do happen. However, I find it hard to believe they did nothing to attempt to fix this for you. Then again..we have not heard from the other side, and doubt we will.