ModernBill Acquired By Parallels

DataHosts

Not trying to mess anything up, but thought this was interesting. I myself came from MB because I hate the support, the program, and just about everything to do with MB. I got this today, and thought others might find it interesting as well. If you do not want this post in the forum then please delete. Again...not trying to start anything but just passing along news.....

Also, it says I am valued client, but am not. I have not been with MB for over 2 years, but they send me newsletters anyway. I guess I need to remove myself.....

============================================================

New Owner- Parallels Buys ModernGigabyte

As a valued ModernBill client we want to provide you with information about the acquisition of ModernGigabyte, LLC by Parallels (formerly SWsoft) prior to the public announcement on Thursday, March 27.

We are pleased to inform you that Parallels has purchased ModernGigabyte including ModernBill and its ancillary product offerings. Further, we would like to assure you that Parallels has no intention of discontinuing ModernBill or eliminating support for any of the popular control panels that it supports today.

This purchase is great news for our team and our customers. The latest version of ModernBill is the ideal complement to the Parallels family of control panels including Plesk, Virtuozzo, Parallels Pro and Helm. Development will continue to be performed by our development team and support processes will remain in place to ensure no interruption to your existing business. The acquisition will provide access to a wider array of resources to maintain the product more efficiently and effectively over the long term.

In the near future you will see Plesk being bundled with ModernBill by many of Parallels channel partners. This will provide one of the most advanced control panel integrations produced to date.

Further information about the acquisition will be available on the Parallels' website, http://www.parallels.com/modernbill, following the official announcement on Thursday.

Yup, we got this also and moved to WHMCS for exactly the same reason as you Gohper :)

Interestingly according to the FAQ it says Modernbill will eventually be renamed Parallels Plesk Billing. Although they maintain that the product will continue to be developed for other control panels, surely the name suggests otherwise?

I got the newsletter announcing this. I too was a ModernBill customer for less than a month. One of the bits that caught my attention was under "Improvements":

The latest version also includes optimizations that should noticeably improve the user experience. Pages now render about 70% faster than they have in the past.

Does this mean it's starting to approach WHMCS in terms of speed? :-P

Does this mean it's starting to approach WHMCS in terms of speed?
No Way. From what I saw 70% faster would still make it slow compared to WHMCS ;)

They even sent the letter to me and all I did was sign up for a trial and decided it was crap. But I am also addressed as a loyal customer LOL

Well, I did say "approaching". Kind of like how a train that has just started up is approaching 70mph. :)

LOL, it's not that bad, actually considering the speeds i was getting before (3+ seconds on average) the .3 secs and rare 1ish second load time is a nice change in this version.

The speed of MB5 was one of the main reasons for my switch to WHMCS, the slow speed combined with inefficient menu structure ment doing anything took atleast 5 minutes.

Same operation on WHMCS takes 30 seconds or less.

Time is money right?

These guys at parallels are buying everybody, recently it was Helm and now Modernbill. At least, since they just bought modernbill, they won't buy WHMCS. I hope.

What haven't you seen the post in the anouncements section? Matt sold whmcs a week ago.

Only joking!!!

Hopefully he'll not even consider selling, modernbill (in my opinion) was only sold because its client base was drindling.

It's called a remove/delete button....find it!

They'll know where it is.......

They no doubt got bored of waiting for the page to load in order to use it :-)

Which is precisely why we came to WHMCS... that and the menu system left you more confused than a blind man doing a Rubik's cube :shock:

I think this is good news for WHMCS. As a long time MB user I find myself searching for compatible alternatives. WHMCS seems like something I could live with.

Can someone point me to some threads that talk about migrating from MBv4 so I can do some reading? Any success stories out there? I'd like to make the move as painless as possible. I have about 350 active clients that need to be moved, a variety of CC/paypal/check paying clients.

Thanks

Can someone point me to some threads that talk about migrating from MBv4 so I can do some reading? Any success stories out there? I'd like to make the move as painless as possible. I have about 350 active clients that need to be moved, a variety of CC/paypal/check paying clients.

Thanks

Cnote...welcome to WHMCS. This should be your last billing system needed as it is the best out there. Please visit http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=322 for information on the V4 migration. If you have any issues (which you should not) then feel free to submit a support ticket, or post on the forum.

For success stories:

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=9659

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=5898

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=5080

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=5569

Hope this helps out some, however, feel free to post in the Client Discussion ( http://forum.whmcs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 ) and have others reply if you need more. However, coming from MB myself I can assure you that WHMCS is by far easier to administrate, setup, work with, and modify. The community here is awesome, and Matt is very helpful when you submit any questions.

I wouldn't assume that they won't buy out whmcs. They are on a roll and they have bought out several hosting control panels why not buy several billing systems?

Somebody has a lot of money over there and my prediction is that they will bust in the coming years or they have something up their sleeve that no one knows about yet. The hosting industry is a dieing industry in my opinion and the people they are marketing their products to are slowly fading away. The top players don't need their software, they have their own.

Just my opinion anyway.

Bugster, I hate to be so blunt but your opinions diverge from reality. All the evidence is that the hosting industry is growing, with more and more companies getting websites for themselves every day. Checkout the growth of some of the biggies if in doubt - they're really doing well.

It's hard to say whether WHMCS will ever sell, as I'm not Matt. However I'd venture to guess that he'll hang onto it for quite a while as it's extremely valuable with him capably at the helm and it's growing on a daily basis. MB was bought because it was cheap because it was dying - they hadn't supported their users properly for years, and the product wasn't great (being kind there!). In fact maybe the reason some of these others aren't doing so well is because WHMCS *is* doing well!