front-running

charlottezweb

I guess my question is based upon my assumption that someone (commercial) pays for the whois servers that we're using and therefore, are they "safe" in terms of front-running.

Thanks!

While I havent seen any proof of any whois servers doing this, that is a poor assumption to make using that logic above.

While I havent seen any proof of any whois servers doing this, that is a poor assumption to make using that logic above.

I'm not sure I'm following why that would be a poor assumption.

Seems like a good question to ask since we're likely to get it from potential or current customers if we offer domain registration. Afterall, our queries are saved in whmcs. There's nothing to prevent any webmaster using whmcs from doing the same thing Netsol is in hot water for... I just wanted to see if I could guarantee my users that queries done through my site are in no way in danger of being recorded/poached by a third party.

I'm not sure I'm following why that would be a poor assumption.

Seems like a good question to ask since we're likely to get it from potential or current customers if we offer domain registration. Afterall, our queries are saved in whmcs. There's nothing to prevent any webmaster using whmcs from doing the same thing Netsol is in hot water for... I just wanted to see if I could guarantee my users that queries done through my site are in no way in danger of being recorded/poached by a third party.

You cant, thats my point.

Afterall, our queries are saved in whmcs. There's nothing to prevent any webmaster using whmcs from doing the same thing Netsol is in hot water for.

Are you saying that you feel you yourself (or staff) would do this, or just that the searches made might be used at wherever they are conducted through WHMCS? The way it's worded here sounds like the former, but it's probably just me misunderstanding the intent.

I just wanted to see if I could guarantee my users that queries done through my site are in no way in danger of being recorded/poached by a third party.

Like Macscr said, you can't guarantee anything that happens to data that's beyond your control. Once a search or inquiry is made to a third party, you no longer have control over that information and what's done with it. If it were me, I'd write a disclaimer on the domainchecker page that says something to this effect:

"Domains searched for through this site are not guaranteed to remain available if you choose not to purchase right away. Your search may be included in lookup records at various publicly accessible locations beyond our control, and may be registered at any time. The only guaranteed way to keep this from happening is to purchase the name yourself."

Something like that, maybe. ;)

Are you saying that you feel you yourself (or staff) would do this, or just that the searches made might be used at wherever they are conducted through WHMCS? The way it's worded here sounds like the former, but it's probably just me misunderstanding the intent.

I would never do this.

What I'm saying is that anyone that's running whmcs has the whois queries done via their site stored by default. Therefore knowing that I personally would never do this, I was hoping to make a statement similar to what easyDNS has done on their site to the effect that queries made on my site are safe from this practice. However, based on what's been said in this thread, it seems there's not a way of knowing whether the queries my site runs are being recorded by a third party so it's a moot point.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just wanted to see if I could guarantee my users that queries done through my site are in no way in danger of being recorded/poached by a third party.

Definately not. I've had a customer of mine fall victim - they went to register a domain name (available) through WHMCS. In the time it took for them to complete the order, log into paypal and send the payment someone else had snapped up the domain. It wasn't a common name either, there's no chance it was just coincidence.

Explaining this wasn't nice, especially since this was a new customer. He initially thought we had stolen his domain name and, understandably, wasn't very happy.

• WHMCS CEO

I would think your client checked availability somewhere other than your site if that was the case. WHMCS interfaces direct with whois servers for domain checker and doesn't use a third party service like Network Solutions for example.

Matt