MYOB/Quick Books

samant

Question

19 answers to this question

A simple CSV export of all the PAID invoices should be good enough. The exported data should contain the entire content of invoice (including the payment transaction IDs + customer ID/name/email). This CSV will give an accurate picture of what the customer purchased.

I don't bother separating stuff out in QuickBooks.

WHMCS keeps track of customers and payments, I just add it all up at the end of the day and whatever runs in the batch gets called "Sales - Internet Services" on one line in QB.

Quickbooks isn't the best customer tracking system

WHMCS keeps track of customers and payments, I just add it all up at the end of the day and whatever runs in the batch gets called "Sales - Internet Services" on one line in QB.

So, do you import the transactions for each customer in QB -- OR -- do you just add the TOTAL "Amount In" each day (in that case, no customer data gets in QB)?

Thanks,

Chris.

So, do you import the transactions for each customer in QB -- OR -- do you just add the TOTAL "Amount In" each day (in that case, no customer data gets in QB)?

A bit of both :D

For domains - everything as one transaction for the day to "Online Domain Sales" client

For hosting - each plan as one transaction for the day to "Online Hosting Sales - (PLAN) " client

For VPS/Server - as individual transactions to individual clients

I have to say, I hate MYOB with a passion. I've had to use it through many companies over the years. My sister-in-law enlightened me to the ease of CashFlow Manager.

http://www.cashflow-manager.com/

Basically, because WHMCS does all my invoices and everything like that - I don't need a "full" or "complete" system. Just need to add my expenses and income and it works out my tax for me. /phew

Much quicker than MYOB and I'm still able to see reports on how much things like advertising are costing me.

A bit of both :D

For domains - everything as one transaction for the day to "Online Domain Sales" client

For hosting - each plan as one transaction for the day to "Online Hosting Sales - (PLAN) " client

For VPS/Server - as individual transactions to individual clients

The problem doing it this way, is that reporting would be useless.

For example, we currently track all sales as separate classes: eg.

- Web Hosting Shared - Windows

- Web Hosting Shared - Linux

- Web Hosting Reseller - Windows

- Web Hosting Reseller - Linux

- Web Hosting VPS - Windows

- Web Hosting VPS - Linux

- Web Hosting - IP Addresses

- Web Hosting - excess data

- SSL Certificates

- Domain Names

- etc etc etc

This is brilliant for reporting and analysis - to see where the improvements are, or where they need to be etc etc.

If all details are brought in as 'Sales', then its ok profit wise, but useless reporting/analyses wise.

Matt/WHMCS - have you guys looked at somehow integrateting the billing system into MYOB - perhaps a tailored .csv download (oe even better - email with attached csv) on daily basis. We can then import this into MYOB???

Would be brilliant and help the even ending search for more automation!

Ok, I have a question for you, which I can't seem to figure out. When I do month-end, I go into WHMC, and get the totals for last month (let's say it is $3289.65), and then add it into Quickbooks, under Customers > Receive Payments. BUT, now I need to add this against an invoice, which I don't have in Quickbooks.

So, would you mind please explaining to me how you do this?

I use Quicken cashbook, rather than quickbooks, so my reponse SHOULD be relevant (but may not be).

We import our transaction as invoices into our accounts receivable, and then import our receipts in as the payment receipts.

Quickbooks then simply allows you to 'match' these transactions (ussually picks off $ & date) by ticking a box next to the correct transaction. then accpt as a batch.

What's left are the ones you want to look at in a reccie.

Cheers

yea, that's kinda my problem. We use Quickbooks primarily for our IT business, selling components / labour / maintenance / development / etc, so QB already has it's own set of invoices (and thus invoice numbers). So, it's not really viable for me to import the WHMCS invoice as well.

Or, differently put, I know for a fact that the invoice numbers will collide, and I don't want to / can't (due to tax & accounting purposes) change invoice numbers which have already been issued. I do realize that if I show money received, I need to allocate it to something, indicating what it is.

Sorry, you lost me there. I re-read but can't get where you are going.

Or perhaps I wasn't as detailed as I should have been, so I'll take a step back.

You can (or at least my Quicken 05 can) import a text file which contains invoice no name, amount, date invoiced, GST ( or whatever sales tax you get slugged with), plus any reference field.

The easiest way to get this is the Sales Tax liability report.

1 Run the report for the period, copy the table and paste it into excell, add any info that you want (eg classes etc) and then save as a .CSV.

I use prepared template which allows me to maipulate some of the data quicker

2 Now take this csv file an import it into a Sales account. Because you are bringing in an invoice number, you should make sure your automatic Quicken inv no range uses a different one to your auto WHMCS invoice no range.

So you have invoice no in your sales account, just as if you had created each one by hand.

3 Now you run a tranactions report for the month as a CSV, and import that into your payments account.

Step4 is to then match your payments aginst your sales invoices.

Does that help?

both of which you can do with a bit of php and cron job ;)

Very much so. We do the same to send us a nightly export of clients, products and invoices/transactions that get imported into QB every morning.

Life was never easier. :)

For any coder willing to give this a go,

I have the basics for a quickbooks export

that will export

clients

invoices

payments

seperate or all at once, sorted by date

and it exports to an .iif file

Please if someone is interested shoot me a PM and let me know

( this is from another billing system and it works great )