WHMCS used for ecommerce (non-hosting)

TheWhopper

I have seen WHMCS used for a shopping cart type system by others, but feel a regular shopping cart would be better for this purpose. WHMCS is nice and works great, but there are better suited products for selling products requiring shipping etc.

Now hiring Matt to custom design WHMCS for your purposes is always another option I am sure ;)

So far WHMCS has everything I'm looking for, except I plan on selling merchandise rather than Hosting services.8)

How extensive a list of merchandise? The great thing about using WHMCS is that it is actually fun to use, and not a struggle as with so many shopping cart systems. Also, Matt's support is unbeatable.

How extensive a list of merchandise? The great thing about using WHMCS is that it is actually fun to use, and not a struggle as with so many shopping cart systems. Also, Matt's support is unbeatable.

Hard to say at this point to be honest :lol:

Probably no more than a dozen different categories, each category would have 2 - 5 different products to choose from. 20-40 different products all together, maybe. Showed my partner WHMCS...and he likes the fact support ticket/billing information is tightly integrated and easily visible on the customer-facing screens.

I really don't see anything I would need to modify...but I do see things I would like to hide/remove simply because I'm not providing any Hosting services.

JT

Hi. I'm new to WHMCS, but I'd have to think that OSCommerce would be better suited to a general merchandise store. It'll calculate shipping, both weight and dimensional, it'll do qty price breaks, it'll do case lots, it'll do... pretty much everything. Don't get me wrong - WHMCS is fantastic - but I would think that OSCommerce would have to be better suited for the job. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. I'm new to WHMCS, but I'd have to think that OSCommerce would be better suited to a general merchandise store. It'll calculate shipping, both weight and dimensional, it'll do qty price breaks, it'll do case lots, it'll do... pretty much everything. Don't get me wrong - WHMCS is fantastic - but I would think that OSCommerce would have to be better suited for the job. :)

If you like OSCommerce, checkout ZenCart. It has many more features and has a much better system in place for customization. Every again will you lose your mods when you update to the newest version!

• 3 weeks later...
And if you think ZenCart is good... just check Magento...

tons of features, modern, fast and very easy to customize...

it is the future in open source ecommerce.

We found it not ready for a live site and as far as I know is still beta software. After setting our server up to run it for a customer, they went back to OSC.

• 2 months later...
Can WHMCS be customized to remove any references (customer facing...don't care if I see it on the admin side) relating to a Hosting service?

So far WHMCS has everything I'm looking for, except I plan on selling merchandise rather than Hosting services.8)

Hello TheWhopper,

We installed WHMCS onto Bam Fitness Reno (.com) -- no spaces of course. It is really working well. We would really like to see if we can get a more flexible shipping and quantity item input box into the cart system though. It looks like we will most likely be hiring Matt to build this feature. The billing and invoicing system is so good that we would like to use the core system for many other clients, but will need a full shipping function in the cart that is more modern. Let me know if you would like to share the cost on this? We would me more than happy to get started on this!

WHMCS is great for billing (not to mention Matt's best support than any other competitor). It is tempting to use it for ecommerce but if anything, I would say using an already build cart like zen cart or OSC is best. Then maybe you can create a loginshare or some type of integration with WHMCS so Matts affiliate module also works on your ecommerce site. Something so you can have the same affiliate system on your hosting accounts as well as your products.

Just shooting ideas.

Im sure Matt would not mind to accomodate that for a small fee (unless he's planning on adding that option as an addon for all of us on the next upgrade? wink wink).

• 2 weeks later...

If you add a group you have the option of whether to display or hide the group from the shopping cart. Is it possible to do this for Register Domain and Transfer Domain?

The entire client frontend is templated so you can certainly remove any of the hosting references you don't want.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Hosting is not a mainstay of our business at all, probably less than half a percent and only sold to existing customers and not visible on our site. We use WHMCS because of the subscription aspect. While it would be nice to add new categories we simply bundle everything into 'other products/services'.

• 3 weeks later...
The only thing that I can't make work with using WHMCS and ecommerce (tangible products) is the fact I can't specify Shipping charges. Also the shopping cart doesn't let the customer easily select the Quantity of each product they want.

I'd like to be able to offer the customers the ability to specify quantity for a product/service too.

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?p=66420#post66420

networkofhosting