Duplicate Titles

Dario

Hello,

I am doing tasks to improve the indexing of whmcs in search engines.

When I look at the source code of my pages, I can see that the title tag appears duplicated, the first title is correct, according to the configuration set in the lang/overrides/english.php file, but the second one appears as the name of the page , in this case: Homepage

How to prevent the title tag from appearing duplicate?

header.tpl

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

<title>Quality of Web Services</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="web hosting, domain names" />
<meta name="description" content="Web Services from people to the world" />

<title>Homepage</title>

<!-- Styling -->
<link href="//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300,400,600|Raleway:400,700" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="/templates/six/css/all.min.css?v=cc3457" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="/assets/css/fontawesome-all.min.css" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="/templates/six/css/custom.css" rel="stylesheet">

<!-- HTML5 Shim and Respond.js IE8 support of HTML5 elements and media queries -->

/lang/overrides/english.php

$_LANG['title_homepage'] = "Quality of Web Services";
$_LANG['meta_description_homepage'] = "Web Services from people to the world";

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

The title you see, meta keywords and meta description, was added by me manually in: /lang/overrides/english.php
since whmcs, by default it only adds <title>Homepage</title>, as you see in my description above and that is what I don't want to appear: <title>Homepage</title> because it is already customized by me.

Hi,

Test this code here, since you can't have two titles and I didn't see a translation in that:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

<title>{$_LANG.title_homepage}</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="{$_LANG.title_keywords}" />
<meta name="description" content="{$_LANG.meta_description_homepage}" />

<!-- Styling -->
<link href="//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300,400,600|Raleway:400,700" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="/templates/six/css/all.min.css?v=cc3457" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="/assets/css/fontawesome-all.min.css" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="/templates/six/css/custom.css" rel="stylesheet">

<!-- HTML5 Shim and Respond.js IE8 support of HTML5 elements and media queries -->

If this still doesn't work, maybe you have some Hook or Addon, add that title element because WHMCS itself doesn't add it.

The first title comes from your $_LANG while the second, judging from its particular location, should come from {$headoutput}. In this variable WHMCS puts all content returned in ClientAreaHeadOutput. In other word on your system there is probably an action hook responsibile for title duplication. You should look inside includes/hooks and also make sure no module is returning title tag via action hook.

p.s. My 2 cent. Don't waste time with SEO in WHMCS. It is not worth the effort. Real-life improvements are laughable and non-existent. All you get in return is probably a SEO tool that scores you higher and higher but this doesn't automatically translate into better indexing. You need way more than just a titles and meta tags to get something relevant not to mention WHMCS multi-language is session-based hence search engines will never index you site in other languages. Lastly what's the point of crafting titles and metas when WHMCS is a generator of duplicate contents?