Accounting

hobbit666

I know there are a few topics about this which i has made one about but do people use just WHMCS for all your accounting like TAX, Self assesment etc or do you use other software packages and export / recreate the info in Sage, QuickBooks etc

Reason i ask is, i've just downloaded Microsoft Office Accounting Express to try and see how that works. My business is 100% Hosting and Web Design at the moment so WHMCS is fine for accounting as i can see what invoices i've sent out and what people have paid.

But i may expand the buisness and do other IT things where i will be generating invoives for other services.

I have got Sage and tried exporting data to it but it fails and i think it just needs some extra fields etc to work.

Would it be worth getting Matt to look at doing a Sage/Microsoft Export?

Are there enough people out there using Sage to justify Matt doing the work?

Has anyone done this before?

If i did some work on this and did a custom module/script how many people would like it?

WHMCS is a "billing & client management" system not accounting system :-P WHMCS won't help you do your self assessment :-)

You must be very brave to use Microsoft Office Accounting Express considering it's only just been released.

We use Quickbooks at the moment input everything manually, in the future I'd like to move to Kashflow.co.uk and use their API to hook it up to our WHMCS install.

My business is 100% Hosting and Web Design at the moment so WHMCS is fine for accounting as i can see what invoices i've sent out and what people have paid.

WHMCS is an awesome billing solution, but it is no substitute for a double-entry accounting system. You'll need to produce Profit & Loss statements, Balance Sheets, and be able to depreciate capital purchases. Even if your bookkeeping needs are very simple, you still need a place to record expenses such as server monitoring, software licenses, advertising, and so on.

As much as I disdain Intuit Corp, QuickBooks is the de facto standard for small business accounting. Homespun (mom & pop) businesses can get away with Quicken, I suppose, but some sort of bookkeeping/accounting system--even if it's a double-entry paper ledger--is a necessity for every business.

A big advantage to Quickbooks is that there are so many people familiar with it. If you want to hire part time bookkeeping help or just want a trusted friend to review your setup, it is MUCH easier to find people who are well versed in Quickbooks than any other system.

WHMCS is an awesome billing solution, but it is no substitute for a double-entry accounting system

I totally agree - and once you factor in that every country has different rules for reporting, tax, payroll etc it's unrealistic to expect WHMCS to become an accounting package, whereas it can become the best online billing system :D

I have posted another topic elsewhere about this same issue. Can anyone here who is using Quickbooks explain to me how they enter all their income into Quickbooks? Currently I am using Quickbooks only so it has all my customers info available. If I switch to WHMCS and that keeps track of my customers info then how do I add income to Quickbook? Do I just make a general entry called daily sales and add it? If so should I break down what the sales are for? (hosting/domains)? Also what about separating income by type, cash, check, cc, paypal?

Maybe I am looking to deep into this and it is simpler than I am making it? This is why I need someone who is doing it in QB already to give me some tips...

Thanks,

Phil