Integration into oscommerce

melanie

Hi :)

I have an oscommerce site which has been modified quite a bit already - I'm wondering if anyone has succesfully integrated the WHMCS into osCommerce.

I will be trying though as soon as I've got all my accounts, products/services setup and everything is running smoothly. I have some ideas already of what I want to do, I'll probably make use of the scripts which are available first. But if anyone knows whether it has been done before, well that will certainly give me more motivation to try sooner than later. :)

Regards

melanie

Well what I am going to do first is take the login box and user registration and replace my existing code with that so that when new users create an account it goes straight to WHMCS and not to osC but then again I I could aslo keep it as it is, to keep my hosting and non hosting customers seperate. I quite like the idea of my hosting customers having their own unique client area.

no it wont be a template thing - I've never tried the STS mods for oscommerce and a full login sharing would be nice, but as I said, keeping non hosting and hosting clients seperate also appeals to me

melanie

hmm, just dont see why you would want to integrate 2 different billing systems to one, after all there is a full shopping cart in whmcs and it can be used for non hosting products, unless your osc catalog is pretty big i would consider ditching it, also dependant on how many customers you already have on osc

I'm using both osCommerce & WHM, reason is that I'm working with osCom & am using the code base for my own custom stuff (e.g. portfolio). What I've done is disable the osCom checkout part & replaced it with WHM. The design is being merged so it looks like it's one site (but in fact it's 2 different systems).

I think using both the osCom & WHM checkout could become very confusing for customers and for yourself - you'd have 2 different order systems, 2 different customer / product databases and customers would probably get confused where they can log in for what. Also not to forget cookie & session problems when customers move between the 2 different parts (empty basket syndrom).

all the best - Edith

hmm - the possible cookie and session problem did cross my mind. But as I said, I like the idea of keeping hosting and general clients seperate.

The products and services which I've added to osc do not include my hosting services. I created custom menus to hosting related pages in osC. The hosting info is not stored in the DB. I had to create a custom order page for hosting services. But now The 'Order Now' or 'Buy Now' links for those pages I've now changed so that they point to WHM. The hosting products and services I am going to add to WHM aswell,(theres only about 70) but will only add the product name and main search term and brief description with a link back to osc for a detailed description. So when a client signs up for a hosting package, he will also see that by registering and signing up, he enjoys the benefit of having discounted pricing for the same products which are available in osC. Anyone else wanting to benefit by those discounted prices would have to signup for a hosting package too.

With regards to notification - they are both clearly different and and one could tell by which notification you get, where they have signed up.

All hosting clients know to login to their Account Area - General clients wanting to signup would have to purchase at least a hosting package to qualify for any other product in the WHM

It will also expose ones products more and I think that although it may be a bit more work - in terms of SEO and Google - I'll still be able to maintain my existing listing on Google.co.za for the appropriate search terms. At the moment I am listed in the first 4 of any of the relevant search terms.

That really at the end of the day is my may concern.

Regards

Melanie

If you have a full SSL, then you can force cookie use in osCommerce, which means that sessions will stay alive even on non-osCom pages, but only for the time specified for session timeout (usually 20minutes or so). If a customer stays on a non-osC page for longer then their session will time out & basket emptied. Hope this helps! Edith