Understanding Database Schema tblusers and tblclients

o8oygil

Is one of these deprecated  by chance?

I found a record in each of these two with the same number but different name.

there's a record in tblhosting that corresponds to the clients name, but not the users name.   What is the difference?

Is there a chart somewhere that explains the relationship of the tables?  Documentation anyone?

I'd like to automate some auditing scripts that catch human error, and other tasks but need to know for sure how to get from X record in tblhosting, to a human customer's first and last name and company name.

11 minutes ago, o8oygil said:

Is one of these deprecated  by chance?

tblusers is new to v8, and tblclients won't have been deprecated.

12 minutes ago, o8oygil said:

I found a record in each of these two with the same number but different name.

that would  be expected - the tables are related (via tblusers_clients) but are not duplicates of each other.

16 minutes ago, o8oygil said:

there's a record in tblhosting that corresponds to the clients name, but not the users name.   What is the difference?

how long have you got?

one way to think of it is that before v8, clients and sub-accounts could login; in v8, only users can login - clients do not now... you'll probably see that when a new client is created, it's password is no longer stored in tblclients (no need to store password if clients don't login any more!), it would be stored in tblusers (either as a new or existing user)... users can access multiple clients if so assigned.

the relationship of tblhosting to tblclients is fine - the hosting account is still linked to the client.

24 minutes ago, o8oygil said:

Is there a chart somewhere that explains the relationship of the tables?

of course not - we have to figure these things out for ourselves. 🙂

i2UPrKE.png

as I said earlier, tblusers_clients handles which users can access which clients... and hopefully the above screenshot will help you understand the relationship between the three.

35 minutes ago, o8oygil said:

Documentation anyone?

none that I think you're asking about, but generic stuff...

supposedly v8.1 is imminent, but as per usual, as of when i'm typing this, they haven't released any of the 8.1 class docs, so i've got no idea if anything has changed... and I don't waste my time blindly testing betas.

41 minutes ago, o8oygil said:

I'd like to automate some auditing scripts that catch human error, and other tasks but need to know for sure how to get from X record in tblhosting, to a human customer's first and last name and company name.

then in that respect, nothing has changed - tblhosting is still linked to clients and not users (I don't see that changing).

though be aware that changing users details doesn't automatically update the client details.... e.g if you had a client assigned to only one user, changed the first name of the user, then it wouldn't automatically change the name of the client (or vice versa).